Best Calcium test?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanaut

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Guys and Gals 30 Gal Reef

I am using a Hagen/Nutrifin Calcium test and seem to get erratic readings. I am not doseing anything yet . What are your experiences with your tests ? What are the best testers for Calcium/Alk? I do a 10-15% water change weekly .Reef Crystals salt mix.

pH is good 8.2-8.4
Alk is 2.86 meq/lt 8.0dKH
Cal. anywhere from 400 to 540 ???? usually high

I have both Red Sea and Salifert. Both seem to agree in general. The Red Sea is not for anyone looking for 'detailed' results though. Ex. My Red Sea is showing about 450PPM ca. Same tank, same sample water, 470PPM with Salifert. With the Red Sea result, I may have went ahead and dumped some Ca in in the next couple days. Knowing its actually 470 means, don't touch it. My experience..GL

I also bought the Nutrafin and took a reading and something like 27 drops went into the test tube, which meant 540ppm which I believe is not correct or could it be right? I have heard these cheap tests are not reliable at all but wanted to test while waiting for my Saliferts...
Homero

Back
Top Bottom