Best configuration for a 180gal FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking to upgrade from my 75gal to a 180 gal. Now I can't use anything from the old setup, other than my ocean clear mechanical filter. Everything else is a hang on. This tank will be on the 1st floor with all the filtration in the basement below.

Should I get overflows with this tank? Any they needed?
How big should the wet/dry/sump be I was looking at the megaflow 3 sump.
Whats the best way to determine pump size.
What's a good skimmer?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

As far as the pumps you`ll need to figure out head pressure to upstairs to the tank. Moved to General hardware and equipment discussion.

You should get a pre-drilled tank with built in overflows. Otherwise your choices are to HOB overflows or drill the tank. Every flow has a rating for how much water can move through it (gph) based on the size of the hole. Assumng 2 overflows rated at 600 gph each you need a pump with a rating of 1200 gph or less AT a head height of whatever the distance is between the location of the pump in the basement and the return to the tank (probably 10'-12'). Does that make sense?

Are you sure you want a wet/dry setup as opposed to a straight sump?

Take a look around Melevs Reef site and look at this sump.

For that size tank you want a skimmer like this one.

Thanks for the reply. What is the difference between a sump and a wet/dry? I'm confused on that.

thanks

The wet/dry uses bioballs, ceramic rings, etc. as an aerobic area to grow bacteria that cosumes ammonia and converts it to nitrite and bacteria that converts the nitrites into nitrate. Nitrates then have to be removed by partial water changes or other means.

Live rock in the tank and a sump does the same thng, but also hase anerobic areas where the bacteria that can convert nitrate back into nitrogen gas can live. You can also create a nice compartment for macro algea to grow (they consume nitrates too).

Many people convert a wet/dry to a sump by removing the bioballs. Some go further by adding live rock rubble to the sump.

Is it better the use inline heaters or one's I drop in the wet/dry or in the tank?

Thanks again

I prefer a true sump with a refugium area to a wet/dry. Using lots of live rock (1½ - 2 pounds/gallon) and a good skimmer is all you need for filtration.

I answered your skimer thread so please look there.

I don't like inline heaters because heaters do not last forever. I have two in my sump.

Back
Top Bottom