Best HOB Filter for 55 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_chic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Out of these three HOB filter options, which is the best?

Aqueon 55/75

Marineland Penquin 350

Tetra EX 45-70

Trying to cost compare with replaceable filter medias as well.

Tank Info: 55 Gal Topfin with (2) large Oscars, (1) large Parrot Fish (1) large algae eater
Current filter is a Tetra 60, I am having to clean the tank constantly! Hoping changing the filter system will help.

Thanks!

I've not kept any of those fish, but it sounds almost like too much for a 55g tank. Regardless, I'm going to suggest one other brand: Aquaclear. With those big fish, I'd add an Aquaclear 110 and let it run alongside the Tetra 60 at least until it develops its own bacteria colony.

I concur with the AquaClear/Fluval HOB filters over the original ones listed. With this brand you are not limited to proprietary cartridge media. As a matter of fact, I don't factor in the cost of media for these since you generally don't have to replace them. They come with a rectangular sponge, a bag of carbon, and a bag of ceramic biological media. I skip the first two and use polyfil (polyester fluff/floss) and the ceramic media. Every 2-4 weeks I replace the floss.
Also, with the AquaClears you can easily add other media such as Purigen, carbon, crushed coral, etc. That can be challenging to do with cartridge style HOB filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

3rd on aquaclear. All the filters you listed filter from back to front. Are easy to *clog* and the unit bypasses the filter media too easily (IMO)

Aquaclear filters bottom to top, forces water thru the media, while it also has a bypass, I find the media takes a lot longer before being bypassed. It also has a much larger media bucket for additional media if you choose.

For your messy large fish, I’d recommend 2 70 aquaclears, one on each end of the tank.

Agree with Aquaclear. I'd keep the tetra 60 with filter floss, and add an AC110 with sponge and bio media.
In close quarters like yours, keep an eye that the oscars don't turn on your parrot.

(2) large Oscars
(1) large Parrot Fish
(1) large algae eater

in a 55 you are just a bit overstocked indeed
the 2 Oscars alone is a lot as they do get big real big , being cramped in a tank that size they will most likely fight , I had one 30 years ago he was around 18 inch before he stopped growing he was the only fish in a 55g tank . if you add the parrot and pleco that would be a sardine can , If it was my choice I would do 1 Oscar and the pleco as the Oscar gets the swimming space , and the pleco stays on the bottom or walls still tight but would work as ones a mid level swimmer and the other is a bottom dweller,

As others have said, I would check out the Aquaclear or the Fluval C series. They are both made by Hagen and are very similar but do have some differences. I have the C series on a few tanks and am very happy with them. They are about a close to a canister filter you can get without getting a canister. The C series can accept a media bag with carbon, Phosgard, Purigen, etc. And with the filter frame in the first stage you can use bulk media cut to fit. If you decide to go with one of the C series, the foam prefilter for the Fluval Edge fits the intake tube perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom