Canister Filter Foam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bry1105

Aquarium Advice Regular
I rinse out the corse filter foam when I do my monthly canister maintenance, but I'm getting conflicting information about how often to replace it. Some websites say to replace it every 9 weeks, others say every 9 months. I'm assuming one of the two is just a typo/mixup since they both contain the number 9. (I've got a Marineland C-360).

mfdrookie516 said:
Replace it when it falls apart... no sooner or you're wasting money.

+1

That includes the biomedia (biomass) that mfg will tell you to replace every 3 months, this should never be replaced since your good bacteria live/breed in it. Just rinse it out in old tank water during a PWC (same with sponges) once a month (+/-).

The only exception is carbon, if you use it (I don't unless I'm removing meds). It should be swapped out every 2 weeks or so because it can cause problems if it's left in too long.

Ditto. I still have the original foam I got with my FX5, which I got when they first came out. I have others even older and still have not replaced the foam.

Back
Top Bottom