Chiller Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a used chiller when I got my tank about a year ago. Its been sitting in my garage since I bought it and now that its getting warmer I am thinking about installing it. Its a well known brand but I just can't think of the name off the top of my head. What are some things if any, I should do to it before hooking it up since its been sitting for a year?

Also, does it have to be ground level or can it sit on a table about tank level? Do you hook it up on the return line? Thanks!

Moved to hardware/equipment forum:

I'd run some water through it before using it on the tank but other then that you shouldn't have to do anything special. Chillers can be placed on the ground or at the tank level it isn't going to affect performance but some can be noisy so you may want to keep it under the tank.

Yes you want to run it from your return line then to the tank, make sure your GPH are within specs.

It sure would be cheaper to run a fan along the top like a clip on fan. This would cool your tank down 3-4 degrees.

melosu58 said:
It sure would be cheaper to run a fan along the top like a clip on fan. This would cool your tank down 3-4 degrees.
I agree, I have a fan running on the same timer as my lights, I wen from about 82 down to 76-77ish.

I have a fan on a timer blowing along the top of the tank. I also have a fan blowing under the tank in the sump area. Its just started getting warm and the tank hit 83 prior to installing the fans. So far it has topped out at around 81.5 ish. Im just worried about it getting any warmer than that.

The key is stability. If it is at 82 all the time then that is not a bad thing. If you are having big fluctuations then that is.

It will fluctuate between 79.9 at around 10 am and then will hit about around 81.5 during the day then will return to around 79 in the evening. Not a very big swing, but is it big enough to worry about?

Ditto, any swing =< then 3 degrees in a 24 hour period is fine. I've yet to find a heater or chiller that can keep it "dead on" and even the ocean can swing 1-3 degrees daily.

Back
Top Bottom