DIY Wet/Dry Overflow???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sauwill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sorry for asking a question for my first posts.... I am in the process of upgrading my filtration for my 75Gal. Fresh water tank. My question is, where is the best place to find an overflow box/recepticle that isn't over $100(Kind of rediculous for a plastic box, my opinion), and how large of one do I need? Also, how big of a sump should I have? I know all of this depends on the size of pump that I have. Currently, I own a Peguin 1140 which is rated at 300gph. Willing to upgrade, just not real sure what is necessary. Thanks again everyone and I love the forum! :D

look on ebay for a "prefilter box" I think is how they are listed

there are 300, 600, 900 and 1200 gph models - I'd go with the 1200 gph for a 75 gallon tank

I think they're in the $50-60

for a pump I'd go with a dolphin DP-1200 ... dolphin are VERY quiet and can be plumbed externally or internally.

for a sump, I'd go with a 20 or 30 gallon tank, 'long' rather than 'high'

-----

BTW, Welcome to Aquarium Advice ! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the quick reply! Most of the plans that I have viewed show taller rather than longer sumps. I'm glad to hear that longer is the way to go. Alot easier and cheaper to find them that way. What is the advantage to a longer sump versus taller? Thanks again!

long is better because you need the surface area to mount equipment and encourage gass exchange.

the 10 gallon sump I run now is very crowded with the big strainer on the pump and a rather long heater. if I had a 20 long, things would be a lot nicer :)

here are some pics of the setup I'm using:

The display tank is a 30 gallon long, so a 10 gallon is good enough in capacity just barely large enough to hold equipment

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom