Eheim Pro 4 +600

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would be happy with the eheim on a 90gallon/ 350 litre tank. I would be looking for something that holds 3 to 4kg of biomedia in addition to any sponges and the eheim will do that. Flow rates on eheim filters are lower than other like for like filters, so it might not be great at providing mechanical filtration, but i would be happy that it could provide great biological filtration.

An FX6 is a bit of an overkill.

If it where me, i would use a pair of fluval 307s. Going with 2 would give you some redundancy should 1 fail, 1 at each end of would give you good flow around the tank, and each could hold 2kg of biomedia. If you prefered 1 canister, i might look at the new FX2 which fills the gap between the 407 and FX4.

I would be happy with the eheim on a 90gallon/ 350 litre tank. I would be looking for something that holds 3 to 4kg of biomedia in addition to any sponges and the eheim will do that. Flow rates on eheim filters are lower than other like for like filters, so it might not be great at providing mechanical filtration, but i would be happy that it could provide great biological filtration.

An FX6 is a bit of an overkill.

If it where me, i would use a pair of fluval 307s. Going with 2 would give you some redundancy should 1 fail, 1 at each end of would give you good flow around the tank, and each could hold 2kg of biomedia. If you prefered 1 canister, i might look at the new FX2 which fills the gap between the 407 and FX4.
Even if it's over stocked? I want to have 1 canister filter that I can use if I go with a bigger tank.

You would have to be overstocked by a matter of 3 or 4 times the number of fish you should have in 90 gallons before you would need an FX6 to filter the waste. These are monster filters more akin to a pond filter than an aquarium filter. They are rated for 400 gallons, and i would consider their use at 300 gallons. But even then i would actually go with 2 smaller filters rather than 1 massive one for redundancy and to provide filtration and circulation at each end of the tank.

If you really want to use something that can transfer to a larger tank in the future, then go for the FX6. It will probably turn over the water 6 or 7x per hour on your 90g, which is a lot of flow. Its rated to turn over more than 900 gallons per hour, but you will lose some flow once its got filter media in there. You can turn the flow down with the aquastop valves though. I know of someone with an FX6 on a 100g tank, but only because they had one lying around. They are happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom