Filter advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vemus1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I currently have a 46 gallon freshwater tank with two Marineland Penguin 200 HOB filters. I plan on replacing the HOBs with an API filstar canister filter but I need advice on types of filter media. I was thinking: filter floss > precut foam pads > bio stars. I am also considering throwing some purigen in there but I'm not sure if that is necessary.

So to my final questions:
What media combinations do you recommend?
Do I even need the filter pads in addition to the filter floss?
Should I even use filter floss?
What about those polishing pads? Are those worth my time (and money)?

P.S. my tank is slightly overstocked according to http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php

Sorry, these might be stupid questions as I have never owned a canister filter nor am I an "aquarium expert"

I believe my uncle runs his like this: Filter Floss > Sponge (pre cut or the padded stuff that you can customize) > Bio Media > Polishing pad or Chemical Media (you really don't need either, but if you want to... xD).

You want the sponge and filter floss because the floss will strain out the larger parts while sponge collects the smaller stuff. Plus the sponge lasts a long time and provides good biological filtration. Also, your Bio Media will not need to be cleaned as much if you have the sponge in front to get the small stuff.

You won't need the polishing pad if your water looks nice to you. :)

Also, run the canister filter with the penguins, then in a month phase out one of the penguins and cut that cartridge (I assume you use that because most people do) and just grab the blue sponges and put them in the canister.

You could always leave one of the penguins on, you are using two power slots anyways and it would help since your tank is a little overstocked.

Use purigen if your ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate is a little high. Other than that, it is optional. Nice to have to prevent spikes though.

Thanks for your advice, do you know how long a single polishing pad will last without replacing? I think I've heard of people using felt instead of the pricey pre cut pads but is this true?

A lot of people just use pillow padding or the like. I'm not sure how long polishing pads last, but I assume they work like filter padding in that as long as you wash it out, you can re use it.

People do use felt yes, just make sure you get non toxic stuff.

I'd just stick with the Penguins 2x200's is enough, but buying new equipment if fun too lol. Purigen is pretty cool.

The XPL has 3 baskets, in the bottom basket is where mechanical pads go, the Filstar 20ppi coarse and 30 ppi fine pads are good to use and last forever.

The middle basket would be for bio media, I would use either eheim substrate pro, or seachem matrix, a 2 liter bottle would be more than enough.

The top basket would be for chemical if you want to use any. Purigen is good stuff and what I use, a 100 ml bag would be plenty for you. If you are going to use purigen you could put some filter floss under and around it.

If you do use the filter floss in the top, I would use two each of the Filstar foam pads in the bottom basket.

The XPL has 3 baskets, in the bottom basket is where mechanical pads go, the Filstar 20ppi coarse and 30 ppi fine pads are good to use and last forever.

The middle basket would be for bio media, I would use either eheim substrate pro, or seachem matrix, a 2 liter bottle would be more than enough.

The top basket would be for chemical if you want to use any. Purigen is good stuff and what I use, a 100 ml bag would be plenty for you. If you are going to use purigen you could put some filter floss under and around it.

If you do use the filter floss in the top, I would use two each of the Filstar foam pads in the bottom basket.

So I shouldn't put the floss in the same tray as the sponges?

I've heard of people who put floss before and after the sponges and change the two wads of floss at different times but I've also seen people put floss at the very top of the filter to polish the water

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have marineland c360 on my 50 gallon and I love it you would not want filter floss on the bottom would get clogged up to quickly I think! My setup is 1st level 2 sponges 2nd level carbon 3rd level bio balls, fourth level Caramic filter media, and on top of that polishing pads right before goes back to tank to get very fine material missed.. And marineland c360 I believe is on sale at petsmart or petco right now I don't recall but were on sale for 100 you can also look on ebay I got lucky and found one for 49 bucks 60 after shipping

So I shouldn't put the floss in the same tray as the sponges?

I've heard of people who put floss before and after the sponges and change the two wads of floss at different times but I've also seen people put floss at the very top of the filter to polish the water

Yes you can, the only reason I mentioned using it in the top tray is because you said that you were interested in using purigen. The purigen is not that large to fill the top tray.

Do I really need 2 liters of matrix just to fill one basket?

The baskets hold just about 2 liters, if you want to fill it all the way.

Back
Top Bottom