filter backup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LestWeForget13

Aquarium Advice Regular
ive had my tank up and running fine but just a few days ago my filter began to barely sputer water back in and it just goes up the tube and right back out the tube, whats the deal with this? is it my filter or biobag thing?

Does any water go through the filter? If not you could have lost the prime on your pump so your impeller isn't drawing any water just air. Fill up your filter with water and make sure theres no air where the impeller sits. It should start up.

What kind of filter is it? Also, make sure the water level is high enough for it to draw the water up.

it can suck up water fine, its and HOB filter. but the problem is when the filtered water comes back out, its barely trickling out. it just kind of overflows and come back where the tube went into the filter

Maybe your filterpad is too dirty or in someother way to constricted so water cant pass through. If your filter pad is the slide in type, like those found on Whisper and Top Fin brands, the water wont go through very well if the pad is too dirty. And with the way the filter slides in it can act like a dam and prevent water from crossing. The water will look for the easiest path and likely go back down the intake tube side of the filter. Thats why I like the Aquaclear brand hob because the pads at the bottom of the filter. Plus you can put more media in them.

yea i really dont know what brand it is becuase we got it back when we had our first tank and i was 5 i think. but it is one of the filters that has the crbon bag (?) slide ride into the top. and i think what penpitt said, i think it is damming up

sounds liek the impeller is dirty, damaged, or the motor is going bad so it's not moving enough water.

It sounds really old...might be wiser to just replace with an AquaClear HOB.

Back
Top Bottom