Finally got my 3 Aqua Illumination Sol super blue units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deepseadan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been waiting for this day for a long time. As soon as I saw the price drop to $399, I went straight my local fish store and the rest is history. I'm going to be installing them early next week, and I'm going to document everything. And when I say everything, I mean how the sps and other corals react, how many are needed per foot of tank, how reliable they are, ect. At least for me it has been pretty hard to find this type of info. Now we'll see if they're all they're cracked up to be.

My initial impression is they are a lot heavier than I expected, and the optics are quite a bit more impressive and "serious" than I thought they would be.

Attachments

• IMG_4707.jpg
    IMG_4707.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 108
Update #1
Got the sol's up and running. Ended up mounting them about 10" above the water line. Perfect coverage, 3 units mounted parallel cover my 90 gallon 48"L x 18" W x 24" tall. No spotlighting, very good coverage. I can't speak to how my corals will respond since its only been one day. However, I can say these lights are in a class of there own. They are even more impressive than I had hoped for. Below are a few more observations.

1. The spectrum is amazingly adjustable. Any color from 6500k to pure blue. Easy to adjust and customize.

2. The blue / royal LEDs are capable of very intense light. So intense, that I can't even explain it, you just have to see it for yourself. I've never seen any other bulb / light fixture (high watt 20000k halide included) of any kind come even close to its blue's intensity.

3. I love the timer setup and the ramp feature. It gradually increases or decreases intensity over a time period of your choice. Great for sunrise or sunset.

4. The thunderstorm feature probably has no benefit, but wow, it's a blast to watch.

5. I have no idea where to set my percentages, but I had been using a led and t5 Ho mix, so probably pretty high to match their output. Maybe 65% white, blue and royal. Ive heard many stories of bleaching when starting to aggressive.

6. I also love how easy they are to take apart and replace parts if needed. Four screws and the plastic cover is off, the lenses then come off, then the puck unplugs, and the circuit board is next. All the parts are inexpensive and upgradable to replace.

7. Really serious optics. The more I study the fixtures, the optics really stand out.

8. I do wish there was less wires. Each unit has to have at least two wire plugged in.

Next update will be how my tank responds.

Back
Top Bottom