Fishing Weights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok for tank? I want to weigh down some bait for my crab trap, tied with fishing line and a couple of split shot.

I think for a limited time it would be OK, but fishing weights are made out of lead, and it's not something you want in there long term, also once done make sure they are stored safely or disposed of properly. Small children will put anything in their mouth and your expecting one, if I'm not mistaken.

reefrunner69 said:
I think for a limited time it would be OK, but fishing weights are made out of lead, and it's not something you want in there long term, also once done make sure they are stored safely or disposed of properly. Small children will put anything in their mouth and your expecting one, if I'm not mistaken.

Sure am, and I keep all of my tackle in the detached garage in a case. I also have a small dog I don't want trying out interesting objects.

I agree, I think short term (over night or 2 days) they would be fine. I'm going to give them a whirl.

Some fishing weights are made of a zinc based metal and do not contain lead (like plant weights) and will not harm the tank, but I don't know any way to tell the difference.

I used one last night, and I will again tonight, no residual in the jar like rust leaves.

Zinc won't harm anything, to my knowledge, and you probably won't be leaving this in for a terribly long time, I hope, for your sake!

Too true - after all, water is a solvent. I was just thinking in terms of a temporary trap you can get away with it, and I have a one-track FW brain currently anyway! We'll see how long that lasts....

I agree, but I used it for about 8 hours or so and I think it was fine. I used a new weight each time.

I'm crab hunting tonight as we speak...I have the jar with a hunk of fish in it...I used a rock that i normal attach dried seaweed to and a rubber band to weigh it down...hope it works!

i have no idea what kind they are....i don't have a cam to post a pic and i really never get a good look at them

One is a brownish color and has hairy looking legs and body
one is a purple and white with hairy legs...looks nice actualy but i want coral and i dont know if he will treat it too kindly
I've seen the second one munching on hair algae, the first one i have never seen eat...he just sits there looking mean

revhtree said:
What kind of crabs are you trying to catch?

PS. I hope you get those little buggers! :mrgreen:

I've got at least one red crab left to catch. I'm leaving the porcelain crab alone.

Caught a baby black tipped claw crab...they tend to grow into adult black tipped claw crabs so I am happy.

Three traps set, three crabs caught (2 the first night)

Back
Top Bottom