Fishless Cycling - Water Test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Mackson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here are the numbers I recorded using my water test kit.
pH = 7.6
pH High Range = 8.2
NitrIte NO2 = 1.0
Nitrate NO3 = 40
Ammonia = 0
So, correct me if I’m wrong but based on these numbers I’m thinking I need to ADD ammonia. Does anyone know where to get 100% ammonia in Germany? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Rob

Not sure about Deutschland : ) but in the US I picked mine up from a hardware store, it's typically in the cleaning supply section, janitorial strength but its not 100% ammonia. Mine is the standard something like 10% I believe just make sure it doesn't have any dies or added fragrances.

How long has your tank been cycling?

It sounds like you are on your way. The ammo starts to drop, you get trites, trites drop and trates rise and the next day your trites will be gone and the trates will shoot up.

Good luck.

By 100% it means just ammonia and water. The ammonia is 10% of the contents, the rest water. You just don't want the stuff that has surfactant (soap) in it though some will argue that it's ok to use that.

You can also through a raw shrimp into the tank. As it rots it releases ammonia. Sticking it in a mesh bag or some panty hose keeps it from falling apart and getting all over your tank.

And to answer the other question, yeah, you should add some ammonia. You want to keep the bacteria fed. It looks like you are close to the end though since you are getting nitrates so you shouldn't need much ammonia.

The tank has been cycling for three weeks w/o fish.

I am hoping that the tank will be ready for fish soon. But I have no Ammonia to add just yet. I'll look into the shrimp thing and see how that works.

Any other suggestions? Please let me know, I'm totally new at this.

Back
Top Bottom