fluval fx5 help ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xJIMx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi everyone. i just picked up a 90 gallon bowfront that i would like to set up as a reef. it came with a fluval fx5 canister filter & a eheim pro easy 80 canister filter. an aqua ultraviolet uv filter and 2 aqueon 1650 wave makers. id like to use the filters that came with it. would that be ok or do i have to get a sump ? any opinions and avice would be appreciated.

Using the filters would be fine, a lot of folks do that. As you research I think you'll find that sumps provide better benefits in a reef tank than canister filters do, but that doesn't mean you have to go that route right away or that you can't be successful with your equipment.

I wouldn't use them

I would sell the two canister filters. They will sell easy and will be great for somebody doing fish only or freshwater. The idea with reef is to keep nitrates at 0. Canister filters are NITRATE factories! Worse than bio-balls IMO. Use the money you get selling them to buy the biggest glass tank that will fit in your stand. Buy some glass and silicone and put baffles in the tank to create your own custom sump. Leave one area of the sump for your refugium. Buy PLENTY of live rock and fill the refugium with it as well as the display tank. The rock is NATURE's filter and that is ALL you need. You could save ONE canister filter, hook it up, BUT only turn it on when you feel you need a little extra mechanical filtration, 24 to 48 hours. Don't rush into setting up the tank. Take your time and do it RIGHT from the begginning and you'll save yourself money AND aggravation down the road.

Back
Top Bottom