Fluval fx5 vs Rena xp4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Von Devilish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Needing to get a new filter for my 220 gallon freshwater tank, and I was hoping someone had experience with either the Rena series Canister Filters (specifically the xp4) or the Fluval fx5 canister filter. Any advice would be appreciated or any addtional ideas.

I would like to spend less than 350.00 for the new filter, and these are two that I am considering.

The Fluval is capable of up to 925 gph (rated up to 400 gallon tank) and the Rena is 450 gph (rated to 265 gallon)

I do understand that more filtration is better, but what I'm more looking for Technical experience witht these and if they are good filters.

The tank is 7 ft long by 24 inches deep and 24 inches from front to back. I do not want to drill the tank, pics are in my gallery...

:thanks:

I'm using an FX5 on my cichlid setup and can't say enough good about it. lol I use fluvals on several of my tanks and find them sturdy, solid and of good workmanship. It's also very easy to customize your media in them as well.

I believe amazon.com has the fx5 for $234 still. :)

thanks carey !-

do you know how much filter medium you go through, and what do you recommend for best results to use?

I see tons of different options.

If you look in my bio you can get a complete rundown of all my fish, I gravitate towards Clown loaches, Clown Knifes, and Koi Angel fish, but I also have lots of other fish in that tank as well, (lochata botias loach, Banjo Catfish, Hi fin lace catfish, Plecos, Green severum, Blood Parrot, Oranda, etc etc etc. - real motley crew)

I use mostly biomedia in the trays with some carbon and filter floss. I happen to like running carbon, something you will get differing opinions on. lol

I do a filter maintenance once monthly and haven't had any excess buildup or anything really gross in there. hehe

I have only about 20 africans and 2 blueberry botias. :) Still a messy tank for feeding time though

I saw some blueberry lochata botias loaches online and did some reasearch on them, and found out that it was similar to mixed fruit tetras, coloration by injection, which can severely shorten life span. Have you had any issues?

I currently have both filters. I think the FX5 is the higher flow, and both are just as easy to maintain. If space is an issue, i think the FX5 is a little shorter, but also higher volume. I found the FX5 on ebay for $219 with free shipping. Overall I prefer the FX5. I did have to learn that the flow in the FX5 flows from top to bottom, so the setup of the media is a little backwards, with the course stuff at the top and the fine at the bottom. I agree with Carrie. I use mostly biomedia in mine, pre-filter in the top tray and biomedia in the other two with one fine polishing pad on top of the biomedia in the bottom tray. Hope this helps!

There should be no monthly cost for media. Once you get your sponges and ceramic rings in there, they'll last for a very long time. I've had the same sponges and rings in my canisters for almost 2 years now, and they still look brand new (minus the brown staining).

+1 for Rookie. You shouldnt have to replace media for a long, long time. Just rinse in old tank water when you do water changes and put back in. Biomedia should last forever. Maybe a filter pad here or there, but basically no cost after initial setup.

I did not know that. Thanks for the info, Im new to the hobby, so I'm learning things however I can and manufacturer info can sometimes be more marketing than advice.

Definitely go with the FX5.

The water goes up the outer ring of the trays and down the center. The outer ring houses the course mechanical. The fine mechanical should go in the top tray, before any biomedia, so that all debris is removed before it reaches the biomedia.

Those advertised flow rates are without media, the Fluval is actually around 600gph stuffed with Biomax. I agree with the FX5's I'm currently running three, but I have no experience with Rena's. I will say your not going go get away with one of those filters on that tank, whatever one you decide on plan on purchasing two.

I ran two 220s with only one FX5 each at the shop I was running. One housed 2-20" pacus and an 18" Achara catfish, the other was a well stocked African cichlid tank. Extra flow for such a large, 6' tank is always good, but as far as actual filtration the FX5 should have enough. You may decide to add a second later, but I wouldn't assume you have to get two.

On that size tank I would look into a small pond/sand filter. The backwash option is amazine. You may go a little over your $350 budget, but it would be more than worth it. The ease of use and capability of such a filter is ideal.

I agree with Hukit. I have a fX5 and a 405 in my 240. Thinking about replacing the 405 with another FX5. I do have the tank heavily stocked with big bioload fish.

Back
Top Bottom