GFO Reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superman1950s

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im looking at getting a reactor to lower or completely get rid of my phosphates. My phosphates sit around 0.25ppm for the most part. I have R/O unit with filters and membranes changed in december 2013. My light cycle is 6hrs and i still get bad hair algae outbreak every few months. I do 10gal WC every week.

I don't know much about reactors. My tanks is 40gal total between DT and sump. What kind of reactor would I need and what media for it. Thanks for the help.

Is your unit an ro or is it ro/di? Ro doesn't always remove everything from the water source, such as phosphates.
In terms of reactors, the BRS reactors are pretty solid. I would look at the single unit as the dual sometimes have trouble getting gfo to tumble correctly, since gfo needs to have a 'light boil' of flow through it. You could run gfo, or other products in the reactor that remove phosphates like phosban or phosguard.

it is ro/di. I'll look at the single on BRS site. Its well with in my price range. As I have never used a reactor how would it connect to my system. Would it go in or outside the sump and does it need a pump?

I'll take a picture of mine so you can get a good idea of things if you need, but it is exactly what Greg said. BRS used to sell a combo set of a reactor, pump, and ball valve if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom