Good quality protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enervate7

Aquarium Advice Regular
In regards to protein skimmer for a 54 gallon aquarium should I get the reef octopus hob-bh 1000 or the bh 2000? A body knows any other protein skimmers are good quality ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have never used a HOB skimmer.
Is it your only choice(do you have a sump?).
I would go with the 2000 for the price difference(not much even on BRS).
Check out Eshopps if you have to have HOB as they offer a reasonable line also.
Hope the BUMP helps!

No I have canister fluval 306. But I'm thinking of just changing it to a sump but I believe I have to add a overflow box and then it will connect to the refugium. It's confusing on how to set up a sump and its not drilled so I need a overflow box

Skimmers are not(should not) be the cheapest part of a good marine system.
If you think you may go sump then look into that first IMO so you can have greater choice of protein skiimers and be able to hide it.
Reef octopus and CPR both make good overflows that incorporate a toms aqualifter to aid in continuous /successful syphoning without fail.
Mostly hoping a vet will chime in to help you though!
I'm all sump and own 3 different kinds of skimmers.

Okay I purchased it from Amazon it will be arriving soon. Yea I was looking at sumps they sound intriguing especially they can house a refugium. The only problem is that the the overflow box. I going to do some more research on how to diy a sump suitable for my 54 gallon tank ( I'm considering a 10 gallon tank). For the time being I will continue to use my canister filter. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom