Greetings! :) Questions already!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical Dave

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

My name is Daryl and am the recent new owner of a Jebo 352 tank - but it came with no instructions so I hope I can find some answers!! A little bit about me, I live in Perth Western Australia and used to keep fish in my college days in a small hexagonal tank in England, some ten years ago. I always enjoyed watching my fish (some of my favourites were a loach, 2 x japanese fighters, school of tetra neons; I also had a red tailed shark bu he was very aggressive!) but admit I was ignorant to a lot of the more technical issues and having recently read the amount of science involved in maintaining a healthy tank I must have had very good fortune to keep my environment going well all those years ago!!

Anyway, I have bought a new Jebo 352 with no instructions and I don't know how to arrange the filter compartments in the hood - can anyone help??! I wish to properly set up, cycle and maintain my tank as part of a feature unit in my bar at home, eventually to be stocked with tropical freshwater fish, perhaps a couple of plants and some rockery - all dependant upon the needs of the eco-system of course so any guidance on how to correctly install the filter compartments will be be much appreciated.

So far I have connected the pump, lights and filled the tank with water to about 2 inches from the top. My old (Hexafun) tank simply had an air filter which introduced bubbles into the aquarium through an airstone. The new Jebo is supposedly an all in one 'solution' whereby the water is pumped up through the compartment section in the hood. Thus far I am assuming that the 2 x white fibrous pads go in the first compartment to form my good bacteria breeding ground and also to remove debris from the water stream, and then the biochemical ceramic items (two bags came with the set) go into the second compartment to be chemically filtered before the water returns to the tank via an overflow pipe.

I have read a range if internet material for the last three-four days regarding the different types of filters, and quite honestly cannot figure out exactly what i have (due to no instructions i might add - I'm a Senior Consultant Engineer in acoustics so i should have a reasonable degree of intelligence!!); Any information would be gratefully received. Once i know the filter is setup and running correctly I will go out and purchase substrate, test kit and some rocks for decoration and begin the cycling process

Thanks for you time
:hat:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jebo 352 [74.1 litres, 16.3 Gallons]
Aquacare HA-100 Heater
Twin Fluoro Hood Light

Welcome to the site!

It sounds like you've got it right. The filter pads go first to collect the debris, and then the bio filtration rings or whatever you have. I'd fill it up and plug it in to see what happens, but maybe that's just me.

Is there an intake tube that drops down into the tank? Or is there a slotted overflow somewhere for it? I'm not familiar with the Jebo tanks, but it sounds very similiar to the Eclipse line of tanks. Perhaps looking them up would provide you some insight, as they might be very similiar.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

Is there an intake tube that drops down into the tank? Or is there a slotted overflow somewhere for it?

The arrangement is a pump mounted high up close to the hood on the left hand side of the tank (as you look at it) sucks up water through an intake pipe from low level and pumps it to the hood where it reaches a tube with holes in it. The tube runs horizontally, almost the whole length of the hood, which is split into 3 compartments, and allows the water to flow through the holes and into the first two compartment units.

At present I have two filter pads sat in the first compartment and approximately 20 of the biochemical filtration rings just sitting in the second compartment. The third compartment has a short length of tube cut diagonally which allows the filtered water to fall back down through the hood into the main tank via a flat-mouthed funnel tip.

The filter pads go first to collect the debris, and then the bio filtration rings or whatever you have. I'd fill it up and plug it in to see what happens, but maybe that's just me.

I like your style!! - that's exactly what I did, though i think now that perhaps the two filter pads go one in each compartment, laid on top of a layer of bio-chemical filtration rings, because some of the water will by-pass the filter pads by flowing through the tube run with the holes in it straight to the second compartment. I will try this and see what happens :)

Thanks again for your help

I am trying to figure out how much sal tgoes in a blackwater fish tank my amonia levels are high

Gabe - Welcome to AA! You might want to start a new thread in the Freshwater general discussion area with your question. More people with the right expertise will see it there. Personally, I have no experience with blackwater, but I'm sure someone will be able to lend a hand. Good luck!

I've re-arranged the compartments and attempted to describe them (somewhat crudely) below

Hood lid
---------------------------------------------------------------------
l water flowsthru tube with holes along its length l
l >>>>> > > > > > > > > >
> l
l ^ l V
compartment 1 l V compartment 2 l l
l ^ l V
filter pad l V filter pad l l
l ^ l V
20 x biochemical 'rings' l V 20 x biochemical rings >>>>>>> V l
l--------------------------------------------------------------V ----l
l ^ l - PUMP LOCATION V l l ^ l o o o o o o bubble stream from pump V l
l------
l
l
^ Tank l
l
^ l
l
^ l
l
^ l
l
^ l
l
^ l
l water intake l
l_____________________________________________________l

V, ^, <, > Represent water flow and direction
Font size 1 Represents a label of some kind

And the remainder of the lines are intended to represent the tank, hood and compartments within the hood.

Please forgive my crude representation(!) - the intention of this diagram is to clarify my understanding and make sure I have everything flowingin the correct order and placement; So, in compartment 1 and 2 the bottom of the compartment has approximately 20 biochemical filtration rings, on top of which is laid a filter pad. On top of the filter pad is a compartment grille. the water flows up through the intake and along a tube with holes which allows the water to fall into the two compartments. The third compartment has a tube which allows the water to fall back into the tank below.

Q1) - Have I got the filtration elements (i.e. pad, rings etc) in the correct arrangement?

I truly hope someone can clarify , as (stated in first post) my tank came with no instructions, and the JEBO website will not allow me to email the manufacturer a query :(

So onwards and upwards - my pump has an air intake tube (approx 8mm diameter) with an adjustable screw-in fitting at the end. Unscrewing the fitting prompts the pump to release bubbles into the aquarium water. From the diagram, you can see that the pump is located close to the top of the tank, therefore no bubbles get around the bottom of the tank -

Q2) - What are the function of the bubbles in this set up ??

I appreciate these questions may be silly though I cannot get the instructions for the tank and have yet to find specific guidance online for my set up. Any info will be very gratefully received :) I have included some specifications found on the equipment my tank came with for the more experienced aquarian to better understand my setup - hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to help some other new starters eh?!!

If you got this far - thanks for reading my query

**** it!! The spaces have been removed from my text diagram by HTML!! Curses - it looked almost good with the correct spaces!!!!
If you can still decipher my intentions you are a true genius!!

Back
Top Bottom