Help with DIY Co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
My system is working, I just need help getting my bps where they should be (i guess 1 bps, not sure)

my tank is 20h, moderately/heavy planted, dose flourish comp and excel ferts, 2 13 watt cfl 65000k each, photsynthesis time is 8-9 hours mstly 8 though.

My bubbles are releasing 1 every 5 sec or so....
I am using 64 oz (1.89 liter) ketchup bottle 1 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

How do I get 1bps or is that what I should be aiming for?

I am using a DIY co2 reactor also. All I can get is one bubble every 5-6 seconds. I just made up another reactor and piggy backed it with the first one to see if that will help.

I am using a DIY co2 reactor also. All I can get is one bubble every 5-6 seconds. I just made up another reactor and piggy backed it with the first one to see if that will help.[/Q

How ironic you said this...I actually made 2 bottles (generators) then 1 gas exchange (water bottle) and now one will release a bubble then 1-3 secs the other releases a bubble so I hope that will be okay...My fluval bubble counter and co2 difuser should be here tomorrow...

I would really like some members who have done a DIY co2 to chime in here. I just received my fluval bubble counter and diffuser yesterday... for the life of me...I need assistance....

My system is working, I just need help getting my bps where they should be (i guess 1 bps, not sure)

my tank is 20h, moderately/heavy planted, dose flourish comp and excel ferts, 2 13 watt cfl 65000k each, photsynthesis time is 8-9 hours mstly 8 though.

My bubbles are releasing 1 every 5 sec or so....
I am using 64 oz (1.89 liter) ketchup bottle 1 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

How do I get 1bps or is that what I should be aiming for?

Ok I mite be able to help I have a 2l cola bottle I use 2 cups suger Lemmon juice and yeast and a dab of vinegar I get one bubble ever 2---3 sec for 2 weeks
But I use it in line so the so the co2 gets smashed up by the pump into micro bubbles and pushed to the bottom of the tank my
Plants are purling all day long

Ok I mite be able to help I have a 2l cola bottle I use 2 cups suger Lemmon juice and yeast and a dab of vinegar I get one bubble ever 2---3 sec for 2 weeks
But I use it in line so the so the co2 gets smashed up by the pump into micro bubbles and pushed to the bottom of the tank my
Plants are purling all day long

Okay what do you mean by "I use it in line...."? Also, how much lemon juice, yeast, vinegar?

Okay what do you mean by "I use it in line...."? Also, how much lemon juice, yeast, vinegar?

In line I mean my co2 goes in my pump out let. 3oz of lemon juice and 10 ml of vinegar but the important is getting the co2 in line
Just before the pump proper so it can smash in to micro bubbles and push to bottom of the tank that way all the co2 gets used

I'm using 2x 2l bottles each filled 3/4 with hot water and 2 cups of sugar dissolved, 1/4 tsp yeast (I also recycle some from depleted bottles) and 1/2 tsp baking soda.
I get 2 bps for about 10 days.

+1 for injecting straight into powerhead nozzle and avoiding co2 diffusors that require pressure buildup.

Okay I was following along in another DIY co2 thread because me and another member were having the same issue....they have resolved theirs now so I will pick up where I left off on my own thread that I cannot seem to get very much help in here (they got plenty)..maybe I am not popular enough to get help till I achieve my goal...oh well If you have any info that may help feel free to suggest it

Really no one so I guess since I am not well known then I won't receive any help well anywho I will keep posting my troubles its been over 12 hours since I made sure there were no leaks, I did not have to release any pressure I already had built up. Is there a way I can tell if my generator should be re-did?

Okay I redid my whole system and bought new air pump tubing....all was good an hour later I begin to see a bubble every so often and the generator is bubbly......I went to check on it a few hours later and all my water was gone out of my fluval bubble counter, why? what caused that?

You know mine did the same thing on my first run with DIY CO2. I shook the reactor to get the bubbles really flowing and several minute later, the water refilled the bubble counter and a lot of co2 started coming out the diffuser. I'm assuming the water got sucked out of the bubble counter with some siphoning pressure equalization mumbo-jumbo that's beyond my pay grade to explain. But I've only experienced that on the first try.. when I remix my recipe, I don't see that anymore. However, the water gets sucked out of that bubble counter when I unscrew the cap on the generator when I'm changing the mixture again. I just refill with water and screw back on... repeat the process every 2 weeks.

Okay, I refilled the counter last night and for some odd reason NOTHING is happening this morning (almost 12 hours) I did not take anything apart except the bubble counter and the generator is really bubbly but by now pressure should have built up...I just did another leak check no leaks (did with soap and water) so whats going on...starting to get frustrated....I been at this about 4 weeks now:-(

Well by taking the cap off the bubble counter and refilling with water, you just released any potential pressure that was built up. The "whole" system relies on pressure.

Once you made sure that there are no leaks, refill your generator with the sugar/yeast/baking soda mix, tighten up all the caps, and set it and forget it...

Follow this recipe carefully. Also make sure you're following the mixing instructions like activated the yeast in a bowl of warm water with some sugar in it and to use a fork to oxygenate the water... Its all there, just follow the instructions.

http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/09/diy-co2-recipe-duration-vs-intensity.html?m=1

After leaks are checked, recipe followed closely, and everything is screwed on tight... Exercise PATIENCE by NOT opening up your system from any point. You can shake the mix a little half way to get the bubbles really pumping. If you past 24 hours and still nothing, then I'd be concern with either leaks, bad yeast, or something in the instructions you're overlooking.

And is there any reason why you're using a ketchup bottle for the generator? Most people use a 2 liter bottle. I use a 1 liter smartwater bottle but i just 1/2 the recipe because that's based on 2 liters.

And is there any reason why you're using a ketchup bottle for the generator? Most people use a 2 liter bottle. I use a 1 liter smartwater bottle but i just 1/2 the recipe because that's based on 2 liters.

Yesterday, I purchased a 2-liter bottle ( ketchup bottle no longer have in use) and fresh name brand fleischmann's active dry yeast and C&H pure cain sugar (IDK if brand mattered just thought since I wan't getting anywhere to try everything I could think of).

Okay I shook bottle a little which made water go up my line from the bubble counter into the generator....:confused: now water is in my line
Should the bubble counter (bc) be level with generator, higher, lower or does it matter? Should bottle be in a warm environment/ Mine is on the floor and of course we all know heat rise to top so floor is cooler (it is carpeted)....

I'm not sure if BC placement matters on a DIY application. Mine is pretty much level with the generator. Mine sits on the floor as well. Average ambient temperature in my house is 65F.

ForumRunner_20130124_135043.jpg

Disclaimer: I've seen a ton of variations of DIY so by no means my way is the only way. Luckily, this was my first attempt and it works.

I'm not sure if BC placement matters on a DIY application. Mine is pretty much level with the generator. Mine sits on the floor as well. Average ambient temperature in my house is 65F.

View attachment 146814

Disclaimer: I've seen a ton of variations of DIY so by no means my way is the only way. Luckily, this was my first attempt and it works.

On the bc, am I suppose to screw that piece over the tubes? I did just want to make sure

Back
Top Bottom