Help with lighting!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelaOlsenFan

Aquarium Advice Regular

marina-canopy.jpg

I got this lighting hood for my 25gallon tank about 10 years ago. I went to change the fluorescent tube the other day and noticed that the plastic behind the tube was all brown, and the plastic is getting warped and breaking off. So I was thinking I might need a new hood, as this one could be dangerous (??)

I don't even know where to start when it comes to lighting. I've just recently got back into the hobby and things have changed so much in the last several years!!

Should I get a double fluorescent strip? Is single insufficient for live plants? I only have plastic plants right now (b/c all my real ones die!) but if I'm going to invest in a new hood, I should really get one that's good enough to grow plants, so I have the option.

Should I get something like this: http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA.../allglassfluorescenttwintubestriplight30black ? I would also need a glass top, wouldn't I? Do glass tops have space for power filters and plastic tubes? Don't they sell full hoods anymore?

I don't see a wattage given for the bulbs, but lets say they are 15 watts, which I think is pretty standard. That would give you 30 watts on 30 gallons, or roughly 1 wpg. Not really enough for many lights save the very lowest light requirements.

If you want to grow higher light plants, you may want to consider going with Power Compact lighting, which is a little more expensive.

Another tip: Look on ebay for great deals.

You can find whole hoods out there, but for a 25 galllon you may have to go with glass top and strip light.

Back
Top Bottom