How hard to change a fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poolrad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Dual Satellite 36inch (Current USA) Compact Florescent that has a very loud fan on it, I am considering changing the fan with a super quiet computer fan. Has anyone done this before? If so is it hard and what should I know about before trying it...

I think the fan is 80cm..

You must mean 80mm

I have two Cheiftek fans on mine and they are quiet (Cant hear them). .1 A each.

Thye move something like 34 cubit foot/min

Did you install them yourself? Where can I find them, they sound exactly like what I am looking for...

http://zactrades.com/gallery/SaltwaterAquarium/PICT0736

Thats them.

Most of these fans have four "tabs" on both the top and bottom of the fan. I snapped these tabs off on the bottoms, cut a hole, then dropped it into the hole, and the top tabs kept it from going all the way through (I then used some screws to help keep it in place)

Just get any 80mm computer fan, and an AC-DC converter (Make sure it has enough amps to run both fans, if yo uare getting two. Mine are .1 amps each so it takes just 200ma to run both)

Thanks for the help, anyone else have experience with this?

Anyone know the size of the fan on the Dual Satellite 36 inch PCF? It measures 2 inches x 2 inches, I thought it was 80mm however after seeing an 80mm it is much smaller...

Anyone?

Check for a 60 mm. Alternatively, you can remove the fan, peelback the label or remove the cover over the shaft and add a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil. I have done that with computerfans and had them run quietly for years afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom