info on digital thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't expect much from a precision instrument that sells for $6.99, on sale for $4.99. :wink:

I've used a couple of different digital thermometers in my lab, and I still trust the old-fashioned analog mercury ones most.

Many digitherms have a line inscribed on the metal probe. If you don't immerse the probe to this line, the readings are screwy...if you immerse the insulated part of the wire, the readings are screwy. Also, take readings in different parts of the tank - maybe you're measuring a cool deadspot that is being affected by warmer eddies of water from the filter flow.

Also, even with the expensive models, the equilibration time need to get a stable reading can be as long as a minute. You may simply have to keep it there for some time. The manual might say something about response time.

What is the instrument's precision, or accuracy? The instruction manual should say something like +/- 0.1 degrees F.

As far as it going on and off, is the battery seated well, and is the battery compartment door securely closed? I've had this problem with battery-operated timers, and solved it by taking out and replacing the battery. HTH

I have 9 of that exact digital thermometer, although in Canada not that cheap! LOL, Never had that problem. They are all very accurate and don't jump around at all. I would check the battery as suggested.

I have 7 of the Coralife thermometers and have never had problems over the past year and a half. I have never had it turn off on its own. Checking the battery would be a good idea. It may also just be a defective one.

i also use that digital thermometer, and have had no problems with it at all--except when i dropped it in the tank once 8O (but it recovered). i believe it to be more accurate than the regular thermometers--i've put 2 in a tank at next to each other and gotten different readings.

I have 4 of those units. The second one I bought was broken, half the LCD worked. I had it exchanged. No problems since.

I have those on both my tanks and have not had any problems at all. I would get it exchanged for a new one if it's giving you troubles.

Back
Top Bottom