Just got my new refractometer, but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
how the hell do I use it??? It comes with the manual but heck I don't quite really follow what it means.

Anyone can shade a light how do these things work? It has got the ATC feature but still according to the manual it ask me to caliberate at 20 degree celcius ambient. I thought this thing will adjust to that by itself???

Attachments

• dcp_03r022.jpg
    dcp_03r022.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 44
All you do is use the pipit to put a drop of water onto the glass(under the plastic cover), then put the plastic cover down and look through the eyehole toward a bright light source. There is a focus adjustment you can use my turning the eyepiece. Before using it on your tank though, you need to calibrate it. To do that, use a drop of RO/DI water. It should read zero. If it doesn't, then you need to use the nifty little screwdriver they supplied and turn the screw a bit til it does read 0. Once that's set, then you can test your sw and get an accurate reading. HTH

I just received mine yesterday, from DIYREEF.com model RHS10-ATC. I agree that even though it says auto temp comp. the directions discuss temps. I calibrated mine with reg. water to 1.000 then sampled my tank water wich is 78 degrees. 1.023 just what I wanted, then off to my LFS to have them test a sample with there more expensive refractometer 1.023. So I do not think it matters, almost like a disclaimer or something, good luck.

ATC means that you put the drop of water on and wait 30 sec for the temp of the water to come down to the temp of the refractometer, thats all that is. the only way to test it with RO/DI water, and it should read zero. if it's not ro/di water, than it's not a true referance to go from.

I thought distilled water could be used as well? Does distilled water have any salt? I use ro\di myself but I know a lot of people buy distilled water for their nano tanks which is why I ask.

the refractometer I use is an old lab model I got when they where getting new ones at the high school. just have to find the conversion chart.

What about after use? Do you rinse away the saltwater with tap water? Or just wipe off the saltwater and then store it?

wipe it off with a slightly damp cloth or clean papertowel to remove all salt water residue and prevent water spots from building up on it.

if you have really hard tap water, then I'd use RO/disitilled water to clean it afterwards.

I know how to use it but the problem is the calibration itself. The manual asks you to calibrate at temprature at 68 degree but I mean this is the ATC model shouldn't it adjust by itself?

Besides it is impossible to get that kind of room temp here right now as it is summer time down south unless I have to cablibrate in the freezer or something? Please helps!!!

ignore the ambient temperature, it really shouldn't make a huge difference and if it does then that model of refractometer might not work. Calibrate it in the same place you are going to measure and if you use RO/DI then it should read 1.000 anyhow. I have the same type of ambient temperature swings here in Texas (Go Longhorns!!!) and it has never caused any changes in my readings.

Back
Top Bottom