life of a t-5 bulb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckmn101

Aquarium Advice Freak
To be honest, I just replaced mine after about 1 year and I didn't notice a difference. Of course that was with the naked eye.

They will last that long but color shift after around 8-12 months which can induce algae if not switched out. I swap out every 8 months myself.

That is my suggestion as well as like Micah said the lights will last that long but the spectrum change will cause problems. I change my VHO bulbs every 6 months. Another factor that plays in here is how often they are used. I run mine 12 hrs a day while someone that runs theirs 8 hrs a day will get a few more months out of them than me.

Thanks for the responses. I wish I could justify spending $90 and get this light meter-
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=14821&N=2004+113762
But I can get a couple corals and make myself believe I saved some $ by not buying the meter.
Anyway thanks again for the answers. My blue bulbs are on for a 12hr duration and are 10 months old. I believe I will be barganing with the lfs guy or ordering bulbs very soon.

I may get that on my next purchase from the drs website! I really want to see how much and how long it takes.

I think you might have answered a problem I'm having with hair algae. I'm also using a HO T-5 for about a year now not having changed the bulbs. I'm going to check the phosphate level before I replace the bulbs. Someone else told me I should try feeding Omega 1 all vegetable diet if it is a phosphate problem.

Back
Top Bottom