Lighting Dilema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bry1105

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 46 gallon bowfront. On top of it I've got an Aqueon Vera-top & 36" strip light (single 24" 17W T8 bulb). I do not have plants, it's just a simple freshwater tank, but should I still upgrade? I'm considering several options:

1) Replacing the strip light with a similar Aqueon "Deluxe" strip light. The deluxe models have full length bulbs (in this case 36" rather than the standard 24") and also include a reflector. How much of a difference would I notice going from a 24" 17W bulb to a 36" 25W bulb w/ a reflector? Finding just the strip light is kinda hard, but I can find the deluxe hoods. I don't want the hood (I like my vera-top) so can I use the strip light w/o the hood?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+9662+3780&pcatid=3780
Oak Fluorescent Deluxe Hoods, Aquarium Fluorescent Fixtures for Sale Online | PetSolutions

2) Doing some surgery and replacing the guts of my current fixture to fit in another T8. Not sure how comfortable I feel doing this.

3) Buying a 36" double tube fixture.
Amazon.com: Flo Twin Strip 36 Oak: Pet Supplies

Anyone with an opinion? Common, everybody's got an opinion... :)

are you not satisfied with how bright your tank is? or what color the light is? i would go with the 36 in single fixture and find a bulb intensity that you are satisfied with

Go with a Current Satellite LED Plus fixture.. it comes with a wireless remote and dynamic color modes.. color output can be customized. I have them on my versa top on my bow front.. simply awesome light!

Back
Top Bottom