Lighting for a 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

player676

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since I'll be new, I probably wont be buying any expensive or high requirement corals. I do plan on having a reef with relatively easy corals. Can some suggest very good MH lighting? I checked at drsfosterandsmith and it seemed like 900 dollars is what I should expect to pay. This is the one I was thinking of:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12113&N=2004+113352

The 72" 834w option.

I would appreciate other thoughts if people have them. I want quality, but I dont want to spend a fortune if I can get by with a bit less.

If you're not going for high requirement corals, why the intense lighting? There's lots of easier corals you can keep under T5 florecent lighting for considerably less cost.

I didn't know if I could get by with a T5. From what I've read (or misread I guess), the MH was required for all corals. I would much rather spend less and get a good T5 so this is good stuff to know. Thanks!

I have that exact one on my 125G and love it. I actually bought the celing mounting kit. If you check their prices with other's make sure you check the shipping and "extra" charges of the other sites. I paid $15.99 for shipping for that light and 270 Lbs of sand!
dskidmore said:
There's lots of easier corals you can keep under T5 florecent lighting for considerably less cost.
I haven't done a lot of research, but I can't remember finding a 72 inch T5 lighting system.....Unless you use 2 36inch ones, but wouldn't that cut down on your WPG by a bunch?

roka64 said:
I haven't done a lot of research, but I can't remember finding a 72 inch T5 lighting system.....Unless you use 2 36inch ones, but wouldn't that cut down on your WPG by a bunch?
Sure it would, but he doesn't want high maintenance corals.

How much are you into DIY? You could pick up the ballasts and rig the hood yourself.

I havn't seen T5 in lengths greater than 48" myself, but you can always do two 36" fixtures. The main light loss is on the ends of the bulbs, so youf you're doing DIY, you may also consider a staggered 48" bulb configuration, to get the center extra bright instead of slightly dim. Double-36" would have the advantage of the maxium bulb density.

If you're going for a prebuilt fixture, it may pay to look at places that specialize in lighting for some cost savings.

What about doing a 48 and 24? I know it might create an imbalance, but drsfostersandsmith has a 48" 432w and a 96w 24" for a total of 528w which is more than 2 36" 156w which equals 312w. How does that sound?

dskidmore,

Thanks for the advice. I have zero mechanical ability. DIYs give me headaches because I am an idiot when it comes to that stuff. My wife has to put my filters together for me. She's the builder, not me, but what your suggesting might be even too much for her. I'm not looking for perfection, so 2 36s or a 48 and 24 seems just fine for me as long as that allows me to keep even some corals.

Too bad they don't have an 8x39W for the smaller..., you're going to end up with the 48" twice as bright as the rest of the tank. Some people can work with that artistically, I can't.

Do you have a firmer idea of what you want to keep in corals? Are you willing to make compromises like having to put some corals higher up on the rock wall?

For prebuilt systems, I'd be tempted by something like this:
http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalo...-T5-system-with-16-39-watt-T5-HO-bulbs-Black/
$604.99 for 624 watts of energy efficient lighting. (2x36 is actually a slightly better bargian, and will likely have lesser shipping charges http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalo...nch-Ocean-Light-T5-system-with-8-bulbs-Black/) You'll save in the long term on your electricity bill over the MH as well as the upfront.

I think I would have a problem with that artisticallty as well. Not sure about what type of corals, probably something of the easy variety until I really get the hang of things.

The only issue I have with the links you sent me is the hanging aspect. I'd really rather have it set up as a hood or sitting on egg crate. I love the wattage, just not sure I want something hanging. I will bookmark it and keep it in mind. Thanks!

player676 said:
until I really get the hang of things.
If you want to go for the more difficult corals later, you might just want to go for plan A so you don't have to replace this fixture later. If you're going to stick with the simple tank, the T5 will suit you well.

Look around, those T5 fixtrues I linked to are not the only ones out there.

Unless I was missing something in the explanations on that site, I didnt see any that would sit on eggcrate or the braces. I'll have to keep looking. I just dont know where my tank is going yet. I also dont know if my move will be permanent or just a few years and I'd rather not have to buy a new lighting system if and when I move. That's my reason for not wanting a hanging.

Thanks for all the help. I'll keep checking out that site you sent me. I'll probably email them as well.

I have my 72 incher hanging. I like it better than on the legs. It is very heavy and would be a pain to move, for tank maint. I have a 48incher on my 55 and it is a pain. I have to take it off, to really do cleaning or moving stuff and when the light is not over the tank, I can't see very well.

Maybe I'm just not understanding the hanging. Is it something that's easy to do? I think I mentioned early that I have zero handyman skills so if its something easy to do, I guess I will consider it. I think I am overcomplicating things and that may be my problem.

It took me a little while, you will definitely need help, if you are going with a 72 inch system. they tend to be bulky and heavy (personally, I didn't like the looks of the legs). Easy way, find the celing joists (correct term?), pre drill and screw the hooks in and hang. Har way, if you miss the "joists", just put a "cross joist" in and screw the hooks in that.

My hood was homemade, it hung on a chain with some screw-in hooks. I think I did use a drill to put them in. I also have a stand designed for it. My stand has a third level with a shelf my QT and some random equiptment is on, and the hood hung from the third shelf supports.

One more thing, I am not too sure if egg crate will hold the weight of those lights.

Those would both work, although it's fewer watts for the money. Might be worth it if it comes with the mounting option you want.

P.S. Of the two, go for the one with the 300% reflectors.

One thing I see as a potential problem, the mounting legs are on the same place, at both ends. You won't be able to use the both, in the middle, that's even if they will reach the brace. My 6foot has three braces and I don't think they are 36 inches apart, I think they are about 24 inches, so the leg braces won't work. Now that I think about it, the fans, in the middle would be blocked, by eachother. Plus it doesn't look like they have moonlight LEDs (presonal preference, they look really neat).
Personally, I love the ones I have and the hanging wasn't that difficult. If you go with the one I first posted, you get the MHs/moonlights and lights, it fits the tank and gaps where the braces are. That light does come with mounting legs, but as I stated earlier, it is heave and it would be a pain to take it off the tank to add....say a large chunk of LR. In your set up, you would also have two sets of wires.... If you can afford the extra $200, check into the one I suggested, this will also keep you from upgrading to more WPG, just n case you decide on different corals. When I started, I had no intention to do corals. Now that I got a 125G, I bought the better lights, so I can add them, if I want....

Roka,

Now that you mention it. I wasn't even factoring in the braces. I was just thinking "72 inches, that's 36x2". I think you are right that the 2 36s wont work. The MH 72" I linked to at the beginning might be the way to go. It is in my budget and the more I look at other people's tanks, the more I want corals at some point. I will probably get that hanging kit just in case I run in to the problems that you outlined (which I'm sure I will). Hopefully one of my friends is handy enough to help me out.

dskidmore and roka....Thanks again. You both helped me immensely see problems I might not have seen otherwise. I am not that good with visualizations which is why I came here, so that I didn't buy impulsively.

Thanks again,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom