Looking to modify filtration system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jammerj85

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I have a topfin 5 gallon glass tank with a built in filtration system from petsmart... should've done my research but oh well... anyways they don't t make the carbon filters for this tank anymore.... any ideas on how to modify the system? The "built in" part is also very tiny.... I could possibly hang stuff behind the tank.... included are pics of what my tank looks like! Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions!IMG_2599.jpgIMG_2600.jpgIMG_2601.jpgIMG_2602.jpgIMG_2603.jpg

The Topfin 10 HOB filter is the best small tank filter I own. Way better than my Whispers. I have one on a 5.5G.

Grab some filter media off eBay and cut it to size, works great, it's cheap, also any doing could work. I never buy filter pads anymore, to expensive,

What kind of filter media? Like sponges? Do I still even need carbon? Sorry still a newbie at the mechanics of aquariums! Thanks!

I'd suggest you look for a large piece of sponge, and you cut that into the shape of the filter compartment. Carbon or chemical filtration is completely useless. Sponge is mechanical and biological, so it's decent. You can just remove it and squeeze it for maintenance. Cute lil shrimp you got there :)

I'd suggest you look for a large piece of sponge, and you cut that into the shape of the filter compartment. Carbon or chemical filtration is completely useless. Sponge is mechanical and biological, so it's decent. You can just remove it and squeeze it for maintenance. Cute lil shrimp you got there :)

Thanks! Love my amanos! They keep the tank and plants very clean!

Carbon and chemical filtration is far from useless. Carbon is a great water polisher and wonderful for removing certain compounds from the water column(aquatic medicines for example after treatment). Purigen by Seachem is an excellent chemical filtration method, it helps neutralize ammonia and nitrites and has a life of 6 months compared to activated carbons 1 month life. It can also be recharged and reused.

To the OP, I would buy Sponge and fit it to the available space and cut a slot for a small bag of purigen to sit in, it will be much more effective than just Sponge. Also something like bioballs from fluval create a surface area friendly inert space for beneficial bacteria to inhabit. I would personally include both.

I've always heard for years, carbon really shouldn't be used in a planted tank as it captures the nutrients in water that plants need.

Carbon has an infinite shelf life and doesn't expire until complete adsorption has occurred.
Simple fix, media bag and loose carbon.
(Then you can gauge a small amount by weight. Sorted.)
Actual sponges should last 6-10 years.
Either find a replacement sponge and cut to size or dispense with the filter entirely and add a hang on.
I agree, chemical filtration has a use and is far from useless.
1 Rena star would provide all the biological filtration you need for a system this size.

Back
Top Bottom