Mag 9.5 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rpbustillo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Currently I am using a mag drive 2 for my return pump and I want to use the 9.5 but my overflow cannot keep up with the larger pump. Can I use the 9.5 as a return and to drive my protein skimmer?

Depends on type of skimmer. Also, why use such a strong pump? going from a mag 2 to a 9.5 is a big increase. What's wrong with your mag 2?

You can T off the pump to run some reactors if you'd like. But even then, the increase in flow seems huge. You may be better off going to a mag 5. What size tank do you have?

The tank is a 45 with a 10 gallon sump/fuge. I already have the 9.5 from another tank I bought. The skimmer is a coralife 65g

If you want to increase flow, best bet is to get more power heads. Cheap and can be directed.

Highest i would run in a 45 is a mag 5 maybe a mag 7. My 180 gallon is on a Mag 24 only because of the head height is 6' and i have two returns so it t's off right at the sump. I use a Mag 7 on my protein skimmer and a mag 5 on my uv sterilizer. then like AquaRick said add some power heads, im running the sicce voyager 3600gph and 4000gph kit with the wave controller. go up to a mag 7 on return and your more than doubling the output on your return. But you may end up blowing sand all over your tank.

Back
Top Bottom