Mag Drive pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone ever had one of these fail? I was considering buying another one just for back-up only.

I've had mine a year now (Mag 9.5), runs like a champ. Also, is there any maintenance? (don't have the owner's manual). Thanks!

Never had one fail. Periodic maintnenance as with any PH is to take it apart at the impeller housing and clean it. An overnight soak in white vinegar will help clean out any buildup that a rinse and scrub don't get in the first round.

From the Drss Foster and Smith web site:
Basic Cleaning Steps:
Remove the pump from the system.
Remove filter from the front of submerged pumps and remove debris. Rinse with plain fresh water (no soap).
Remove the impeller housing cover to expose the impeller.
Remove the impeller and the magnet. Inspect them for damage and wash with plain fresh water (no soap or abrasives).
Wash out the impeller housing with plain fresh water (no soap or abrasives).
Reassemble the pump and re-install it in your system

I have a Mag 5 for water changes. It is pretty nice. But I have to say... I really like my ViaAqua 2300. It is really quiet and does 600GPH. it is a little bigger than the Mag, but I like the ViaAqua better IMO.

Binary

I have followed all of your posts and agree totally with you except this one..well lets say I have had a different experience with Via Aqua. I have had 6 Via Aqua pumps and every one of them with exception have failed. I have as of last year contacted Drs Foster Smith many times to try and get the manufactors email, address, and or ph# to buy a new impeller for every single pump I have. I too have a Via Aque 2300 that I used for making water. Gave out after about 4 months. As of today, I have called the manufactor that ships the pumps to Fosters Smith about 20 times...and no return call not once.
SO based on my experience I would tell people to run from Via Aqua...poor product, and for sure poor customer service. Sorry Im very upset with these people that make these pumps right now. Thats a lot of money to have them ALL fail on me.

I have 2 mag 12's and a mag36 that I use to mix water. I have no experience with viaaqua but I can tell you I have put the mags through some tough water stirring. (salinity of over 1.050) and not a single problem. I do however suggest not getting a mag12 or up for your main. Noisy and produce heat. Perfect for what I use them for. Dr. nate keep your eyes open for a sale. Revhtree posted a link months ago. I got 2 mag 12's and a mag 5 shipped to my door for around $100

I forgot to add (in my tirade above) that I have a mag 12 in my main..and it does produce heat for sure. I also have a mag 9.5 for mixing water and then a mag 18 that is new in the box under my bed waiting for use. I also have another mag 9 as a backup...as if I need it! Love mags!

Recently added a mag12 as a replacement for my dinky mag7.. lots more flow (obviously), but I don't seem to have heat issues...
Of course my heaters are on a controller, so if the temp raises too much they get cut off... but it's at a happy 78degrees (fluctuates between 78.1 and .8 during the day...we'll see how it is in the summer :/ )

I run a 9.5 on my 58 Gal for the Return. Love it. it did add about 2 degrees to my water temp though, just adjusted the heater to keep things at the right temp.

Ive read about a large number of Via aqua users that had there pumps burn out (on other foums).. I would avoid it..
The mag pumps on the other had have had a good run for a long time..
some people crack the impeller houseing (the plastic were the screws meet the pump housing) from overtieing the screws.. so try to watch out for that.. but they do sell new impeller housings.
HTH

I have a slightly used mag18 for sale in the classifieds... need it to go before the wife will let me buy a mag7 :(

well

I can buy other things, but she points out that if I buy another pump, i will three total, and only use one... Its hard to argue that point... just like the classic... but I bought more because they were on sale, and I actually saved more money...

Back
Top Bottom