New filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ff_emt2008

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I just picked up a new canister filter today to replace my 2 hob filters. The set up is carbon on bottom ceramic rigs in tray 2 and the coarse sponge pad on top. Each layer has floss pads. So is this a good setup for the filter and how long should I keep my old filters running till me new one has all the good bacteria that I need to keep my levels good?

Slowly take little by little out per week until all gone. Test water parameters regularly and do water changes as needed.

Keep in mind: the more media and sponges you add, the less flow you will get from the canister.

Thanks you. I did take in count the loss of flow and got a 100 gal rated filter for my 55 gal tank.

Should I keep the layout of medium that I have now or change them around also it's a penn-plex cascade 1000.

Not sure where the water enters on that filter but whatever tray comes in contact with the water first should have the coarse pad and then the Bio rings. No need for the carbon unless you getting rid of medicine in your tank, just get more bio rings. And don't waste your money on polishing pads go to Walmart, hobby lobby and get a bag of poly-fill (pillow stuffing) for a couple bucks that'll last you a while, its the same thing.

So I just picked up a new canister filter today to replace my 2 hob filters. The set up is carbon on bottom ceramic rigs in tray 2 and the coarse sponge pad on top. Each layer has floss pads. So is this a good setup for the filter and how long should I keep my old filters running till me new one has all the good bacteria that I need to keep my levels good?
The carbon is not necessary in my opinion. That would leave you more space for bio media. I only use carbon to remove left over meds after a treatment for illness. I do use it once in a great while to polish the water.

Not sure where the water enters on that filter but whatever tray comes in contact with the water first should have the coarse pad and then the Bio rings. No need for the carbon unless you getting rid of medicine in your tank, just get more bio rings. And don't waste your money on polishing pads go to Walmart, hobby lobby and get a bag of poly-fill (pillow stuffing) for a couple bucks that'll last you a while, its the same thing.

On this filter the water goes down to the bottom and works its way up so I guess I should move the sponge to the bottom. I'm going to leave the carbon in for now and when it is spent I will put more bio rings in. Can I tank the filter pads out of my 2 hob filters and put them in the canister filter so I can remove my hob filters so I'm not running 3 filters right now?

Yes the sponges are your first level to take care of the big stuff, then the Bio rings and then the polishing pads to take care of the micro specs.

Id leave em in the hob filters so you don't overfill the canister filter. If youre worried about power consumption you could unplug one of the hob ones, but they don't use much power to run em

How long should I run the hob till my canister is good to run on its own

I would only put the polishing pads in the top(last) basket. As for how long I really couldn't tell you, but I would guess 4 weeks should be bullet proof

Back
Top Bottom