Newbie to saltwater - filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm a bit confused on the best filters, so I thought I'd get advice from several people. Sump would be ideal but unfortunatly it's a bit pricey for me. I am more than likely going with a 55 gal FOWLR set up. I was noticing some canister filters are about the same price as two ( recommended by someone to have at least 2) good power filters. My question being, should I just invest a few more $s and get a ~$100 canister filter or would I get just about as good filtration / flow with two 50+ gal power filters? I want to save money and may upgrade later, but if they're about equal, or if ones far superior to the other for the same price i'd love to know. I want to save a few $'s but also provide the best I can for my fish with what I have. Any particular brand recommendations would be great.

If you have the room under the stand and you are a little handy, you can build yourself a sump. All you need is a 10g tank (20 would be even better) and a few pieces of plexiglas. Get a hang on back overflow and return pump and your all set. All said and done it wouldn't cost much more than $100 and will be way better than either a canister or power filter.

I love the fluvial 304 I have on my 55G. It works great and is pretty easy maint.

I use Penguine 125 with a bag that can be filled with media. What media will you suggest? - I currently have Ammo-chips that I suspect don't do that much of a good job.

Personally I like purigen. You can recharge it every couple of months by soaking in bleach and then in prime (to remove the bleach).

Back
Top Bottom