over ran algae!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone I'm not sure if this is in the right place only my second post. Here's the situation I'm in... I just took up fish keeping and currently have a 10 gallon tank. I have a friend who has a 55 gallon long that is over ran with green algae. He said that if I want to clean it I can have the tank, stand, decorations, hood with lights the whole set up except heater. My problem is Idk how to go about cleaning everything. I'm am going to go get it all on the 7th or 8th and would like to have it up and going by the 14th any help would be highly appreciated thank you.

Depending on how bad it is. You probably need
To soak all fake plants and decorations in a water bleach solution. Scrub the heck out of the inside.
Are you going to replace the gravel? And what type of filter does it have??

Most algae is caused by one of two factors. To much light or to much nutrient in the water.

Whatever you do, don't use soap or any cleaning products. The bleach is a good idea. Just make sure it is bleach without additives. The exact ratio of bleach to water escapes me at the moment, but I'm sure someone else will chime in. I believe you can use vinegar to clean the glass.....again someone else can give their 2 cents. If it's bad on the glass, use a razor to scrape it of.

I agree, get a scraper and scrape that stuff off, should come off pretty easy. I have used bleach on some of my plants, decorations, etc. Soak in light bleach for a few days and make sure to rinse, rinse, rinse. OR soak in plain water and change the water several times after using the bleach before putting the items in your tank. Good luck!!

Thank you for all the advice. I'm not sure what kind of filter it is all I know is its a canister that is out of the tank ran by hoses. I should be picking it up tomorrow or Friday and have pics and better details then. I'm planning in just trashing the old gravel away and buying new. I'm wanting to stay away from chemicals as much I possibly can. Thank you

clean the gravel in hot water rinsing alot, throw it in a 5 gallon bucket put it in the garage or basement, you never know when you might get another tank and want substrate. Itll be there, all dried out and cleaned ready for use.

Never even thought about that thank you I will definitely do that :)

Okay so I went and picked up the 55gal today. i was half full and had about 100 platies in it. my friends mom took most of them the rest was givin away on Craigslist. the guy i got it from said he got it a year ago and bought 3 mickey mouse 1m2f and 3 sunburst 1m2f and 3 red wag 1m2f. he left town last june and everything got unplug a month later wen he got back it was over ran. so he never hooked anything back up. I cleaned most the algae out today but it needs scraped with a razor beause of cloudyness from evaporation and chemicals. (he kept doing water changes and using proper chems.) I got the stand, decor, (no rocks he kept them since they was from his flower bed.) then tank, hoods, light, and a 16 oz almost full bottle of stress coat and stress zyme. also the filter and heater. It was all free all i did was empty it and move it. now here we go the filter is full of algae and water. it is a Marineland Magnum350 how would i go about cleaning this and the fluval heater? I want to hook this setup up but do not want another algae outbreak. im going to scrap the tank glass with a razor and use a good clean new spong on the silicone. then wash it out real good with the hose and let air dry will that work?

Okay so I went and picked up the 55gal today. i was half full and had about 100 platies in it. my friends mom took most of them the rest was givin away on Craigslist. the guy i got it from said he got it a year ago and bought 3 mickey mouse 1m2f and 3 sunburst 1m2f and 3 red wag 1m2f. he left town last june and everything got unplug a month later wen he got back it was over ran. so he never hooked anything back up. I cleaned most the algae out today but it needs scraped with a razor beause of cloudyness from evaporation and chemicals. (he kept doing water changes and using proper chems.) I got the stand, decor, (no rocks he kept them since they was from his flower bed.) then tank, hoods, light, and a 16 oz almost full bottle of stress coat and stress zyme. also the filter and heater. It was all free all i did was empty it and move it. now here we go the filter is full of algae and water. it is a Marineland Magnum350 how would i go about cleaning this and the fluval heater? I want to hook this setup up but do not want another algae outbreak. im going to scrap the tank glass with a razor and use a good clean new spong on the silicone. then wash it out real good with the hose and let air dry will that work?
You seem to well on the way to a sparkling new aquarium!!. For the filter and heater i would soak them in a solution of plain bleach and warm water. Ratio of 10/2,(2parts bleach, 10parts water). Leave this over night in a ventalated room, garden shed ideally.. The algae should literally dissolve and very little scrubbing to do. Rinse, Rinse, Rinse with warm water(not hot) and dry as much as possible with paper tolls. Then leave to air dry and you should be good to go...
Just on the Stress Coat, i used to use it until i switched to Prime. I found the Stress Coat leaves a slimy film on everything which algae grows on. I don't have that problem since i switched to Prime...Best of Luck with your Tank...

Thank you, Not to sound ignorant but do I take the filter all the way apart and submerge and soak all the parts that way over night? Also is Prime by API like stress coat or another brand? Also the filter is full of water and the algae seems fairly free.

Thank you, Not to sound ignorant but do I take the filter all the way apart and submerge and soak all the parts that way over night? Also is Prime by API like stress coat or another brand? Also the filter is full of water and the algae seems fairly free.
I'm not too familiar with that exact filter, but the motor head usually comes off the main body. I would rinse the body with very warm but not too hot water. Give it a good rinse and get rid of any loose algae. You could use your shower either to do this. The motor head can usually be stripped down also, try this before soaking it with the bleach and if you can clean it without the bleach, then i would do it this way.. A brand new toothbrush or a brush(brand new) used to clean babies bottles is also a great tool to clean filters and the tank.. The heater can be cleaned this way also.
When using bleach in or on anything going into the tank, make sure you give it a really good rinse with warm water before returning it to the tank.
Remove the impeller(be careful, these can be easily damaged) from the motor head and again use the t.brush to give it a good clean..
Prime is made by Seachem. It is an excellent product and is super concentrated. A 250ml/500ml will last a very very long time.. 5ml dechlorinates 200ltrs!!

PS..Don't unscrew or strip down the motor head if your not sure what your doing. You could end up frying the fish or yourself or both!!!. Seriously, be very careful as i'm sure you know, water and electricity don't mix..
Anything that needs to come apart for cleaning or replacing, should come apart easily, without the use of a screwdriver!!!

Okay thank you very much for the advice I will take it apart and start cleaning it tonight I hope. I will be extremely careful and I will post pictures of before and after of the filter

Okay thank you very much for the advice I will take it apart and start cleaning it tonight I hope. I will be extremely careful and I will post pictures of before and after of the filter
No problem, glad to help. Look forward to the pics and let me know how you get on..

Here is I photo of the filter now I will post one later after I clean it. I use the app for android.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130209_124028.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130209_124028.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 57
  • ForumRunner_20130209_124103.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130209_124103.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 51
Here is I photo of the filter now I will post one later after I clean it. I use the app for android.
To clean the tubes, i use a tool i bought in a plumbing shop over here. It's a bristle brush on the end of a steel rod. Extension rods can be added onto it to make it longer.. It's basically like a smaller version of a chimney swipe!!

Attachments

• DSCF7205.jpg
    DSCF7205.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF7211.jpg
    DSCF7211.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 49
I was unable to find one of them brushes. I used a new tooth brush I got from walking in and asking for one at a local dental office. Told them I wanted it for my dog lol. :) I used it on the hoses I could the ones I couldn't I plan on replacing with clear tubing from ace hardware (our true value) it Lowes if that will work. I cleaned all the internal parts and the actual canister and quick connect valves are soaking over night in vinegar/water solution. Tomorrow I will rinse it all extremely good and wipe it out with napkins. I will post pictures of the clean product tomorrow. I am worried... what of I don't get it all out will the new media help control the algae and maybe wen I set it all back up using some algaecyde??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you all for the advice thus far

Here is a few pics of what is dry and clean so far.
This was completely green couldn't tell it was black or had the plastic inlet screen.
ForumRunner_20130211_003103.jpg

This was also green the filter sleeve was trash and carbon was also green instead of black.
ForumRunner_20130211_003151.jpg

Worst smell ever!!!

Here is a few pics of what is dry and clean so far.
This was completely green couldn't tell it was black or had the plastic inlet screen.
View attachment 151329

This was also green the filter sleeve was trash and carbon was also green instead of black.
View attachment 151330

Worst smell ever!!!
Great job, they look brand new!!!. I'll send mine over next week for a re-furb!!. They look brand new, don't worry about getting every single spot of algae. As long as you keep your water quality good, you should have no probs with algae.. Most tanks have some algae, controlling it is the main thing....

Thank you and it wasn't too bad after all the help from everyone thanks again. I'm going today to get razors and a sponge for the tank. I'm also going to get carbon and a new filter sleeve. Ill post pics of the tank when i start today or tomorrow as well. Here is the finished canister.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130211_110052.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130211_110052.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom