pH controller or no pH controller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
That's right folks. I'm going pressurized. I finally found a good deal on craigslist and I'm getting a 5lb tank (needs hydro-testing) and milwaukee regulator for 75. He's also got a pH controller for 55 but it need calibration. It's a milwaukee 122 which I heard aren't that great at holding a calibration, so is it worth it?

Calibration is very easy to do. just need some 7.01 calibration fluid.

Its worth having and the 122 model is actually getting great reviews on planted and reef sites.

Just get some 7.01 calibration fluid and some for future use and you are good to go.

The set up also needs a new pH probe another 40 dollars. I could almost get a new one for that price. I think I'll just get the regulator and the tank. I guess I'll have to ask if he has an extra probe.

Ask him, are you on houstonfishbox? I think I saw one FS on there a few weeks back.

I use two, an SMS122 milwaukee and a reefmaster lite w/ SL1. My SMS122 works fantastic. Just installed the RML this morning though and so far its working fine as well. At that price you are better off buying a new one if his used ones are close to new pricing.

This guy is parting out his reef tank. I found him on CL. I haven't been on fishbox in awhile. Is distilled water okay for a callibration fluid? Is there a difference between using 7 and 7.01? I think I'll inquiry about the electrodes.

I dont think there is a difference, and no distilled water cant be used for a calibration, the calibrating fluid is best. I got a few dozen packets of it here. I rinse the electrodes with RO or distilled water though before they get reattached to the reactor.
this is the stuff I bought.
Milwaukee PH 7.01 Buffer Solution 20 ML Sachet

they have 4.0, 7.01 and 10.

Alright. I guess if I do end up getting the controller I might as well buy those and the electrode.

That's: 75+55+35+5+30. That ends up being about 200 to have the system up and running. Hmm...The ph contoller added about 95 dollars to the cost. I can get a new one for 100. So I think I'll just get the regulator and tank from him and wait until I can afford a new controller.

How much is he charging for the tank? that same place has the brand new 5# tanks for 55 bucks made by linwood. Its worth it and by me its 15 bucks to fill the tank.

T5E tank- $59.99
Co2-11 regulator-$189.99
sms122 ph controller-$115.99
ext5000 reactor-$99.99

thats the prices brand new for the 5# rig I got from them. If it has to be retested already its alteast 5 years old.

The stamp on the tank was august 05 so it needs hydrotesting. He's charging 30 for it and then 45 for the regulator. The ph controller is 55 and may need a new electrode.

edit: the electrode is good for another year. I'm getting the whole set.

Back
Top Bottom