Plastic around top of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millionpit@hotmail.com

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK i have a question, I think I already know the answer tho. I have a 55 gallon and the plastic around the top of the tank is cracked in 2 places. The spreader bar which helps hold the lid on and also probably helps keep the tank square is broken also. The problem is the back and the front of the tank is bulging outwards. The tank is about 1.5 inches wider in the middle than at the corners. MY question is can I get a new plastic top or make one out of wood or do I have to get a whole new tank. If I drain it down I can see the bulge diminish somewhat. Im thinking if I make one out of wood it will keep the front and back from bulging. I have never seen the piece anywhere in any catalogs or on the internet but that doesnt mean it cant be bought. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Wow, that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Can you identify the manufacturer of the tank and see if they can get you the parts you need? I'm not too sure wood will work, with all the water and the chance of it warping, splitting. Hopefully some one esle can help out as well.

Wow, that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Can you identify the manufacturer of the tank and see if they can get you the parts you need? I'm not too sure wood will work, with all the water and the chance of it warping, splitting. Hopefully some one esle can help out as well.
Yea good idea. I believe I saw the name of the mfr on the tank bottom. Ill check it out and see if I can find a number for them. I have nightmares of it letting go and 55 gallons of water coming thru the kitchen ceiling LOL. Thanks again....

I would say, for the time being, keep the water level as low as possible.

Also try pets-warehouse.com or elmersaquarium. They carry the top trim for all glass and perfecto tanks. If you can determine the maker, try to get the top trim for that maker. There are slight size differences between manufacturers. Same thing with glasscages.com. They make trim for their tanks and it is not always an exact fit.

Top trim that is not a perfect fit will likely work on smaller tanks. But when you are doing trim with a center brace ....... it will be chancey. And roka64 is right, keep your water as low as possible!!!

HTH

Jeff

ok I have the new top piece. Now has anyone here ever replaced their trim? What is the best way to take the old off? Its siliconed on there and Im afraid I will crack the glass using a scraper or other means of prying it off. I need help LOL thanks

I have removed the top trim before. However, it was an old tank & the silicone is pretty loose so all I needed was to cut the silicone, then pull up on the inside rim by hand & once a corner lifed off, the rest follows easily.

If yours are more stuck, I would suggest first cutting the silicone all around the inside rim. In my tank, there was a bead all around the trim under the lip. You would need to remove this entirely. I used a sharp chisel to scrape the bead off, but a sharp razor will do. Be careful at the corners where the bead joins with the vertical seams. You need a clean cut all the way to the glass or else when you remove the top silicone, you will pull the vertical seams off. (No biggie if that happens, just reseam the joint, but it is extra work.)

Next you can try cutting the silicone that is under the trim. Sliding a thin blade (exacto knife) between the rim & glass (inside & out) might loosen things enough. Be careful not to scratch the glass. Finally, you can cut the old trim piece if all else fails. I would use a hack saw & carefully cut off a small section of the rim. I is pretty easy to cut the top & stop just as you hit silicone, but it is tricky to do the sides(vertical bits) without scratching the glass ... If possible slide a thin piece of plastic under the trim to protect the glass. Once the rim is cut, it would be fairly easy to pry the trim off.

Back
Top Bottom