posieden x2-denitrator system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eric faatz

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was wondering if any info about this product,i was interested in buying one.do they really work well?

I love the name.

It's just a home for anaerobic bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen gas. Basically a deep sand bed, in a jar. Pretty pricey for some media, filter canister, and powerhead, in my opinion.

but if it does the job then isn't worth it? I tried evrything else,so why not try this.

Just my opinion, of course, but water changes are a sure fire way to reduce nitrates. And if you can't keep your nitrates in check with just water changes, then it probably means you're either overstocked, overfeeding, using sub-par water, or not doing things quite right on the maintenance side of things.

Feel free to try whatever you want! I'm just saying that for an empty filter canister, some media (think Seachem "denitrate" media, and the likes), and a powerhead, it seems pricey. You can definitely piece those things together for less.

well if it was do to over feeding,would'nt the ammonia level be on the high side also,or over stocked,i only have 10 fish in a75gal tank,yes maybe some of the fish are on the big side,like sal-fin tang 6 inches in lenght,foxface maybe 6.5 inches,blue hippo tag 5 inches the rest are smaller in size.do 15 gal water changes every 2 weeks,i'am very religous about the maintenace on the tank,only feed them twice a day 12hrs. apart from feedings and don't go crazy when i do.been there done that.maybe i don't have enough l.r. in tank to handle the bio-load on the system.trust me when i say i don't go cheap on my tank.i ony have about 65lbs. of rock in tank,getting more this week i hope,maybe that will help also.thinking of stepping up water changes to 30 gals a month.just bought a new protein skimmer reef octopus.so i been battling this problem for a while with no ill effects on fish or corals.never goes up 40-60 ppm stays there all tests at 0ppm except the nitrate level.i will figure it out.

You are feeding too many times in one day and your tangs are a bit large for the tank. You are indeed overstocked and overfeeding....

Agree that you're probably overstocked. Perhaps overfeeding, but no way of knowing since we don't know how much you're feeding each time.

But to answer your question... no, if it was overfeeding/overstocking you wouldn't have to see ammonia to have elevated nitrates. Having no detectable ammonia just means you have enough bacteria in your system to deal with your bioload. You can massively overstock a tank and still have no ammonia present - assuming that you didn't throw everything in all at once. The bacteria will eventually reach a population where they can convert all the ammonia.

You're only doing 20% every 2 weeks for water changes. Easiest thing to do is just step that up to 20% every week for a while and see if that doesn't make a difference.

if feeding was the problem,then why do they say(in the books i've read) to feed them 2 times a day?also i don't give them alot when i feed them,comes out to about feeding them once a day,and they eat everything within 3 mins.

Back
Top Bottom