Purigen and the AquaClear 110

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaskade10729

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Love this water polishing stuff and always have, but I have some quick queries regarding whether or not I have the 100ml pouches layered correctly in my filter, and if I'm running enough/too much/not enough of it...

Okay, so in the AquaClear 110 I'm running the stock sponge block on bottom, two 100ml bags of Purigen on top of that and two small bags of the BioMax as the very top layer...if you can visualize it, the Purigen is being "sandwiched" between the sponge and BioMax. Is this arrangement/layering okay? Does the Purigen have to be the very last media that the water "sees" before returning to the tank? Is it alright BELOW the BioMax? I'm hesitant to place the Purigen as the last pieces of media because they'll just kind of "float away" into the tank under the pressure of the flow return (they're pretty light these 100ml pillows)...

But will the Purigen be effective as the media stage BEFORE the BioMax?

Also -- is 200ml of the stuff sufficient for a 60 gallon goldfish
TuecwAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
tank stocked with three non-large fancies and which receives weekly 50% water changes (sometimes more than one a week)? Do I need more? Can I get away with ONE 100ml bag the next time I need Purigen after these two sacks exhaust?

Thanks in advance, AquariumAdvicers! :thanks:

You have it exactly right

I joined the seachem forums under the same name I have here and asked a similar question;

Pruigen and Matrix in a Aqua-Tech 30-60 Filter - Seachem Support Forums

If you look at their 8-23-13 response, you have it exactly right.

A tank will not "OD" on Purigen at least within reason. 100 ml works fine in my 29 & 38 gallons and I'm planning on adding a second one to the 38 gallon.

On the other hand, decreasing it probably won't hurt you, if you read their website on how it works, it will simply be depleted faster. I'd stick with two or make it 3. I'd also stagger the replacement dates.

As far as rejuvenating them in bleach like they claim you can do. I am too scared of bleach to do that ....... but most people I believe do at least 1 rejuvenation per bag.

Back
Top Bottom