Question on Milwaukee regulator and bubble counter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just set up my CO2, and followed the instructions per Milwaukee. But when I slowly turned the knob in, the instructions say to do it til the meter reads 10lbs. My guage doesn't read any pressure. Should it? Also, I set it to about 2 bubbles per second, walk away, and it's stopped. So I adjust it more, and it stops. Been doing this for the last 3 hours, lol. My main question is just about the guage. Am I supposed to be reading anything? Do I need to turn it out further to get a reading? I tried turning a little further, but then the bubble counter goes violent, and distilled water goes up into the tube because there's too much flow, so I turn it back down. Am I doing it right, just adjusting it like I am til it levels out and is constant?

it will do that while the regulator settles. to increase the pressure, close the needle valve, then turn up the reg (tighten) until you get a reading.. I can't remember how many turns it took tho..

The instructions on the Milwaukee says to open the needle valve all the way first and just use the other knob to adjust the bubble counter. So that's what I did, lol.

Edit: I just did as you said, and got a good steady rhythem, lol. Not this adjusting, readjusting, readjusting, lol. I bumped the guage up to 10psi like in the instructions, and adjusting the bubble count via the needle valve.

ya, the instructions say to adjust with the main valve, but I had the same problem with getting a stream of bubles then 5 min later the bubble rate would slow ect. I now increase the pressure to the eedle valve to 3-5 or so then adjust using the neaddle valve.

One last question, since I don't have a ph controller, will the swings in ph hurt any fish? The ph in the tank before CO2 is 7.0 and after CO2 goes to 6.7. So during the night, it will move slowly back to 7.0, and in the morning when the timer kicks the lights and CO2 on, back to 6.7. Will that be fine? Or should I leave it run all night, and have a small bubbler turn on at night?

I run mine on a timer, in a planted discus tank. I have had no problems. i think my ph shift is almost identical to yours.

Cool. Mine will be a tad more, as checking my CO2 levels, need to crank up the CO2 just a little bit more. But not much. Would like to see a 6.6 ph.

I can't count my bubble rate, but the absorption rate consumes it very quickly so I can drop the PH rather fast.. (Also have a controller)

I'm also thinking of another upgrade, to a larger CO2 tank. This way, maybe I can add CO2 to my 26G if I wanted. The only problem, my Emperor 280. Don't want to get rid of it, lol. It's been an excellent filter. But just causes too much aggitation, even with the water to the tanks rim, lol. But I was thinking of a 20lb. What other sizes can you get?

Even with two tanks driven to 40 ppm you should be able to stretch a 20 lb cylinder out more than a year. you'll need a truck to transport it, too. I don't see a need to go bigger than 10...

Back
Top Bottom