r/o setup for automatic shutoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*sharkbait*

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I bought a reverse osmosis deionizer off ebay a couple months ago to get better water quality for my wather and to control the phosphate levels in the tank. The set up works great and is HIGHLY recommendable! I did everything the instructions said with piercing the pipe with the water circuit, going through the filters and bringing a hose to a 5 gal bucket! But was wondering if anybody out there has any ideas about setting up an automatic shutoff for one of these units instead of continously monitoring the bucket so it doesnt overflow in case your doing something (done this 4 times - very annoying)! I dont know any suggestions on valving and floats would greatly be appreciated!

i would first recommend to get a large 45 gallon brute container. it takes about 12 hours to fill mine up (for my 90gal). i also have two 5 gal buckets that i use to transfer water. i have a float valve on order from my lfs, i believe kent marine makes one. it is fairly simply to install. i will drill the required size hole in the brute, the float valve will obviously go on the inside and the feed line attaches on the outside with a rubber gasket in between. when the float valve is down, the water continues to run, when the float valve is activated, it will automatically stop feeding the water. this will in turn create a back pressure which is needed to operate the sink faucet (drinking water). i have my ro/di unit installed in the basement right next to my floor drain, so just in case, i will add an overflow that runs directly into my drain. you never know when a $10.00 peice of plastic gives out!!!!!! hth

The RO unit that is sold by filterdirect on eBay has a shutoff valve. I bought two, one for the 30 gal storage can leading from my RO unit, and the other to control the top off water into my sump from a 5 gallon drinking water jug next to my tank.

They work great.

Ok this has me wondering now. There is a waste hose that comes from the R/O unit. Is this not suppose to be on when running the unit. If it is how does the float valve shut off the main supply so the water just doesnt keep draining through the waste outlet of the R/O unit or am i asking a bit much??? 8O

The unit produces waste water only when running. The float valve kills the whole process. I know know HOW it works, but it does. I have my waste valve running into a drain with no valve of any kind, and the valve is mounted on the inside wall of a 30 gallon garbage can, about 1 foot below the top (just in case).

So far it's been running baout a month with no leaks and no problems. I've donea bout 40 gal worth of water changes and about 20 gal of top off, in a ddition to the intial filling of a 30 gallon tank, a 20 gallon storage, a 10 gallon sump, and a 10 gallon QT tank.

Back
Top Bottom