Red Sea Protein Skimmer Over-skimming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nolan99

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Red Sea Max C130. My protein skimmer used to skim correctly, but after cleaning the sump and adding a ATO system it has been over-skimming. The water level is at the optimum water level line on the side of the tank and the skim adjuster is at its lowest position. What should I do?

Sounds like you stirred up some gunk or the skimmer is catching the leftover residue from the ato being made. I'd adjust some but it should be fine. Maybe even take the time to clean the skimmer.

Sounds like you stirred up some gunk or the skimmer is catching the leftover residue from the ato being made. I'd adjust some but it should be fine. Maybe even take the time to clean the skimmer.

Would u use the air valve and just tone it down till it is able to skim regularly without it? Or should I just let it overflow into the skimmer cup a few times and empty it? I also notice it starts over skimming when I turn off the return pump and the water level rises. Could that have anything to do with it?

Well if you have an ATO now, it will refill your tank with freshwater not saltwater. So I would be careful with that.
If you turn off the return and the water level rises that might have everything to do with it.

Well if you have an ATO now, it will refill your tank with freshwater not saltwater. So I would be careful with that.
If you turn off the return and the water level rises that might have everything to do with it.

What does the topping off of freshwater do to the protein skimmer? Is that something I need to fix and could this be the problem?

if you adjust the air valve till you hear a slight gurgle should keep your skimmer going but not overflowing as it should skim a little dryer , it does nothing to your skimmer it brings down your salinity if your sucking out all that water, that's not the same as evaporation

if you adjust the air valve till you hear a slight gurgle should keep your skimmer going but not overflowing as it should skim a little dryer , it does nothing to your skimmer it brings down your salinity if your sucking out all that water, that's not the same as evaporation

And over time will is start to not need the air valve? When I turn off the return pump I turn the protein skimmer off because the water level goes up, but then once I turn the pump on again and I let the water level settle again the protein skimmer still goes crazy. I don't understand why it is going crazy....

The protein skimmer overflows when I have the air valve on. It either has no bubbles going through it or it has water overflowing the opening with little micro bubbles. Please help!

What you've done is cleaned the bacteria out of the skimmer. Its now back into the break in stage, where it has to grow the bacteria back on the inside. This will calm it back down. Its just like having a brand new skimmer again.
Also, one question. Did you clean the salt creep out of the airline hole on the pump? Salt creep will grow in this hole, and mess up the whole skimmer.

What you've done is cleaned the bacteria out of the skimmer. Its now back into the break in stage, where it has to grow the bacteria back on the inside. This will calm it back down. Its just like having a brand new skimmer again.
Also, one question. Did you clean the salt creep out of the airline hole on the pump? Salt creep will grow in this hole, and mess up the whole skimmer.

I believe I did, is there a way I can tell that is what happened without having to take the whole skimmer out again? And does the protein skimmer have to be running for that bacteria to grow?

Yes, you need to run the thing. Maybe you can throw a piece of foam filter on the outlet to stop the micro bubbles getting into the tank.

Yes, you need to run the thing. Maybe you can throw a piece of foam filter on the outlet to stop the micro bubbles getting into the tank.

Should I just allow it to overflow while it builds up bacteria, and not worry about skimming anything till it builds up bacteria?

Back
Top Bottom