Reef Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j.heiser

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I started a 90 gallon saltwater reef tank 2 months ago. I am still gradually adding live rock and a few small things here and there. I recently purchased an Icecap 660-009 ballast with a 3 vho light fixture system. Currently the bulbs are 2 65 watt daylights and 1 65 watt true actinic. I also have my old compact flourescent system that runs two bulbs at a total of 80 watts. I was wondering if this system will produce enough light?

Would upgrading the bulbs to 110 watt vho's be a better idea?

Yes, I think having all 3 of your VHO bulbs at 110 would be much better. Then you can attempt to try more LPS and it should give you more options with corals you can keep.

Thanks a lot, I am going to upgrade them to 110 watts and probably install one more fixture. The ballast can push 440 total watts.

That is what I have is the VHO with 4 x 110 watt bulbs and a 39watt T5H0 on my 75-gallon tank. I have been able to keep even some SPS corals like montipora capricornis etc. I think it is a good idea for you to get that 4th 110watt bulb to achieve your ballast maximum of 440.

Back
Top Bottom