Reefbrite leds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thrashersinc14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 125 gal tank looking to upgrade to leds. The tank is 18" wide 60" long and 24" deep. I want to know how many reefbrite LEDs I will need.

Not sure but tagging along as i would also like to know this for my 200 gallon 5' long 24" deep

Im telling you from what iv read leds seem like a promising alternative im thinking of a diy with some premade led light strips im just going to retro fit them to my existing light boxes i mean its time for an upgrade anyways my current lights are dinosaurs at least 15 years old im running 4 no 2foot t12's and have been looking at leds but the price is bringing me down

I emailed reef brite it would take four led strips to support anything I want. Two white and two blue. At my lfs that's $1200. I want proof some one that can say well I have this or that and it's had a lot of growth. I've read a little on DIY but I guess led is touchy. Not to much or not enough seems like the big issue. I'm not sold yet!!!!

Thats what i was figuring for my diy i was going to try fitting 2 20" white 12k and 2 20" blue (450 nm i beileve) led strips in my current light boxes im looking at a total cost of around 200 i figure its worth a try, and since cash is tight right now im going to be ordering parts piece by piece at around 20 bucks a led strip after i build it ill try to get my hands on some kinda par meter and see if it will work for corals or a bta or something...

I double checked and its actually a 470nm blue that im planning on using so im getting a total of 4 of these and 4 of the 12k whites and im going to place them so from front to back of my light box its going to be white blue white blue and so make up for the 4inch difference im going to place them the first two all the way to the left and the second two all the way to the right so the lights will "overlap" if that makes sense ill start a diy thred when i get all the parts complete with where i got my parts and cost of everything and before and after shots...

Anything bout these reef bright leds?? Anyone?? Verry interested in hearing reviews before the holidays so i can better invest my money in my tanks lighting and so when i get some corals i dont starve them of needed light

i don't know about the reef brites, but i certainly would not want any LED unit i could not dim and tweak to my liking by adjusting white and blue for the perfect look. from what i understand, these are simply on/off.

They are the exact same thing as the marineland reef LEDs. You would need 4-5 of them. I'd get 2 4 bulb fixtures in stead though.

mr_X said:
i don't know about the reef brites, but i certainly would not want any LED unit i could not dim and tweak to my liking by adjusting white and blue for the perfect look. from what i understand, these are simply on/off.

Ah yes i see your point about wanting to have that ability to chang the led appearance to be to your own liking being as what i like and think looks great you might want more brighter or slightly dimmer or with more fluorescent color "pop" using blue as accent or what not.... as for them being the same as marine land lights that kinda sucks cuz they cost so much for one and i would need at least 4 and thats major money for me to throw around maybe if i was working or it was not holidays... as far as that goes im going to be making my own led light set up with 12ks and 470 blues and each strip is going to be on its own switch so ill be more able to adjust to my liking hopefully if i mess around with it i might be able to wire up a pot (potentiamtor) or how ever its spelled lol to them as well and it will be a switch and a knob for each strip to allow me to dim them im going to try and house them in my current box so instead of one 2 foot 6k t12 and one t12 blacklight ill have 2 20 inch 12k's and 2 20 inch 470 blues in each of my two light boxes seems bright in my mind but as far as finished product?? Only time will tell and since i just had a kid its gotta wait till after christmas before i can but the wife to start picking parts for this one.....

Just so you all know i used to do low voltage electric stuff like cc tvs, access control, nures calls and what not i built an electric guitar in high school so im not seeing a problem hooking up dimmers on the leds that i plan on using so i can dial them in and then set them on timers and never mess with them again. So i wont be doing all the crazy sun rise and sun set features you could get with auto dimmers on timers but ill set it to turn on the blues first and turn the blues off last maybe bout 20-30 mins before and after but wont be all fading in and out on its own

You think why wouldnt i be able to wire in a varible resistor aka a pot and have it work?

the driver on most leds without dimmable drivers only support on/off function if the amount of power is reduced the lights will simply turn off from what ive read

Ah now that makes sense but seems like if thats all then no harm in trying seening as how i actually have a few pots laying around in lower resistance values im not sure what the ohms really are on them but when im ready to do my diy ill list them and if it worked or not and if different resistances worked or not cuz from the site i read if i link more than i think 6 bars of leds they start to dim them selfs and i feel that i "should in theory" be able to wire a pot in if not i just cut it out complete the wireing as normal.

I just looked at the leds im planning on using for my diy lighting and it says they are dimmable and looking at the "drivers" and wireing diagram it appears to just be a pot wired in line so you flip the switch and adjust the pot its just in a nice case with a knob hooked up some have remotes and what not i will just try and wire one in when i do my diy ill be sure to take lots of pics and explain every step in as much detail as possible iv already started putting cash aside for the project like iv stated before i should be able to do this for around 200 not including s&h or the power supplies for the leds... the 200 will just be for 8 20inch led strips 412k's and 4 blue

Back
Top Bottom