Resealing a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gonzo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How does a guy reseal a tank? I just bought a 125g and I would like to ensure it's good. The other issue is that the bottom plastic trim is off and I'm looking for a way to replace or repair it.

How does a guy reseal a tank?
The exact same way a woman does.

Ok, I'm kidding. It's pretty simple actually. You just remove the old seam, clean really good (isopropyl alcohol and razor blades), then lay down a new bead with 100% pure silicone (no anti mold/mildew additives). You can get a nice firm piece of plastic and cut a corner off in the opposite shape you want your silicone to look and drag over the bead to get a nice finished look and fill in well.

I just bought a 125g and I would like to ensure it's good. The other issue is that the bottom plastic trim is off and I'm looking for a way to replace or repair it.

You can order the plastic trim from glasscages.com. I'm not sure if they have one for a 125 advertised, but if you give them a call, I'm sure they could help you.

Actually, there are several different manufacturers, and none of their tanks are the exact same dimensions. To replace the trim you need to measure the outside of the glass and make sure the new piece will fit.

Back
Top Bottom