Rid-Ich Stains on Ornaments and Tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osage_Winter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As I prepare to surrender my 60-gallon rectangular and get rid of the corresponding equipment purchased for it (I still need to find a home for my three fancytail goldfish), I had a question about the effects of Rid-Ich medication on the plants, ornaments, tubing and aquarium sealants...

Will these blue dye stains from the medication ever come off the elements aforementioned? Will they just fade with time off the ornaments, glass sealant areas and the airline tubing connecting the bubble walls? This will be a concern for a future buyer...

obviusly you have tried washing them and scrubbing. try soaking in hot water, personally I think thry will come off easily.

obviusly you have tried washing them and scrubbing. try soaking in hot water, personally I think thry will come off easily.

Reef,

Actually I didn't try scrubbing and washing them...

Should they fade in the water though, if I just leave it all to soak?

You can also try a mix of 10-1 water to bleach. 10 parts water, one part bleach. Soak the heck out of it, rinse extremely well, if the blue stain is gone, then soak over night in water that has dechlorinator in it. If the stain is fading, continue the soaking in the 10-1 water. Just make sure that once you have the blue stain gone, you soak the piece in the dechlorinated water. That will neutralize the bleach (chlorine)

The staining is from the malachite green and likely to never go away. A vinegar or bleach solution soak will be the best hope.

The staining is from the malachite green and likely to never go away. A vinegar or bleach solution soak will be the best hope.

Oh no...that's not good news -- why is this even put in medications if it ruins glass, plastic and other materials???

Are you sure it won't eventually fade off the items?

Oh no...that's not good news -- why is this even put in medications if it ruins glass, plastic and other materials???

Are you sure it won't eventually fade off the items?

Because as a medication, it serves the purpose it's used for. They should better warn people though. This is another reason (along with personal preference) that I prefer the heat + salt method over meds.

No, I'm not sure. I hope it does fade away for you, but I have a 29 that was dosed 2 1/2 years ago or so and the seals are still stained. I'm just too lazy to reseal it and don't mind the blue tint that much.

Because as a medication, it serves the purpose it's used for. They should better warn people though. This is another reason (along with personal preference) that I prefer the heat + salt method over meds.

Yeah, but the other meds don't have the machalite green, and they serve the purpose of meds, too...

No, I'm not sure. I hope it does fade away for you, but I have a 29 that was dosed 2 1/2 years ago or so and the seals are still stained. I'm just too lazy to reseal it and don't mind the blue tint that much.

Probably just what I'm gonna have to live with as well.

Back
Top Bottom