Sandbox sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John28x

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone ever use sandbox sand for a substrate? If so what are the pros and cons?

I believe this is the same as play sand. If so, then...
Pros: inexpensive , natural color(s)
Cons: very dirty (requires a lot of rinsing prior to usage), irregular size/grade, lighter particles prone to getting sucked up by the filter when disturbed.
Once you get past the rinsing part, it's fine. If I were to use sand again, I would look for pool filter sand; uniform grain size, tends to sink when disturbed.

Pool filter sand it way better. You have no idea what kind of minerals are in playsand. Quartz pool filter sand is much cleaner and you know what's in it. $8 for a 50lb bag usually.

That's the route we went I just hope 50lbs is enough for a 25G tank

LMAO ok sweet thanks for the help. If I can get me pics to load ever. I will post the updates

We went with about 2/3 of a bag of pool filter sand. That way we can change up the floor height

Anyone ever use sandbox sand for a substrate? If so what are the pros and cons?

It works but you need to rinse it extremely well and then place a small layer of gravel to keep it from stirring up to much

I put a bag into a 5 gallon bucket than ran my hose in it for an hour letting all the fine particles flow out the top before i used mine. its the micro fine particles that must be rinsed out

However there are better options like pool filter sand

Back
Top Bottom