Skimmer not collecting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hockeydude15

Aquarium Advice Activist
Its been about four months now(2 months with fish) and 3 with lr. I have a seaclone skimmer and it just doesnt collect any foam.First I tried opening the valve. Once opened and then closed a bit slowly a pure white foam mixed with water enters the collection cup. Thats not the right foam. Also while doing this tiny bubbles spew into the tank and the unit has trouble intaking the water. The only setting the skimmer seems comfortable at is when the valve is completely closed. How do I get that yellow foam to collect cause I know its been too long with no collection. Thanks.

erm, that particular skimmer I don't have experience with but I have heard some bad things about it. My best suggestion is to google Seaclone skimmer tips or seaclone skimmer tricks, many times you'll find websites that have pics of peoples mods and fixes.

I never could get the seaclone to get adjusted right while I had one. That's why I sold it and got a better skimmer. But in the mean time, only advice I can give from experience is to play around with that adjustment knob. Sometimes just the tiniest of adjustment on it can make a world of difference. Then in a few days it might stop working and you might have to adjust it again. It's really a pain.

I agree with the above posters. Seaclones are trash. I had one when I first got into saltwater aqariums years ago and ended up dumping it for a Remora. Never looked back...

Just have to keep playing with the knob. I could never get over a 1/4 of the collection cup filled when I had my old one...

i'll admit its not the best skimmer or anything but I have a seaclone and its been working great for me for months. It didnt collect anything the first few days. I had to take some time and adjust the air intake. Adjust it every day or so and check the collection cup, you'll find the right setting sooner or later.

how do I know whether or not its having negative effects on my tank?(the fact that the skimmer isnt collecting anything)

This was the first skimmer I had before my Reef Devil. When it was hung over the back of the tank, it did nothing. I converted the skimmer to sit in my sump and it actually worked. Albeit, it's not the best skimmer on the market, but if you fidget with it enough you can probably get it working.

Mike

I bought a Aquamedic Turboflotor1000 Multi I paid only 199.99 the thing collects thick black sludge that smells like someone died and rotted. I changed the collection cup daily for about 2weeks and now I change it every 4 days when it gets half full. I would definately recommend it for sure. The break in period was kinda frustating but once I figured it out I was extremely pleased.

Back
Top Bottom