Sponge filters-best one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duganie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all! Does anyone know of a sponge filter I could buy for a 29 gallon fresh water tank ?? Quick replies would be GREAT! (Im on the hunt now...haha)
Thanks friends and fins!

Hey all! Does anyone know of a sponge filter I could buy for a 29 gallon fresh water tank ?? Quick replies would be GREAT! (Im on the hunt now...haha)

Thanks friends and fins!

They don’t really need to be anything special. The bubbles they produce are the most important thing. I’d say get a smaller one as the bigger ones look a little silly in small tanks but the make for what they are is irrelevant.

Get a control valve that you can add in series with the tubing from the pump. If the pump is too strong they can be noisy and you can turn the flow down using the valve.

Last edited:
Air driven sponge filters are not that efficient as not a lot of water passes through them. Best to attach a power head to the lift tube to make a very good sponge filter with a lot of water moving through the sponge.

Edit: Here is some information on sponge filters.

Last edited:
I use the hikari brand or just a cheap aquaneat knock off for air driven. I've found the Hydro sponges last longer and are less prone to clogging and collapse if run with a power head like FW suggested. I run both. But have at least one (2 in bigger tanks [5 on power head]) for every tank

Back
Top Bottom