SUmp cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeraljay

Aquarium Advice Regular
is it expensive to have someone fabricate a acrylic sump. I mean a sump is fairly simple and shouldnt be too expensive. Right? my dimensions of the sump I want to create are 14 high 14 wide and 53 long. It is an obscure size I know that is why I am thinking it should be custom.

Well Depending, I having mine done 36 inches long, 15 high, 13 wide $240.00

Acrylic is expensive so I would assume like $400.00

wow holy s, is the cost of supplies expensive or just the labor. I am a fairly good DIY er, it doesnt look too hard.

Jeff

Acrylic is Hmm what you need in sheets is probably almost $200.00, Acrylic is expensive.

I dont have any graph paper in front of me to know exactly how much acrylic you would need.

I determine mine if made it myself would cost me $189.00 so I said its better if I get someone that knows what there doing.

Heres a link on acrylic sheets and beleive me there prices are good:

Im not a designer but I beleive you would need 3/8 thick or at least 1/4 thick.

i think it would be more cost effective to find two cheap fish tanks and modify them. I was planning to have two pumps anyways. Thanks fpr the info, and yeah Melve reef gave me some good ideas

Yeah Fish tanks would be cheaper but remember its tough to attach acrylic to glass it can be done but its harder.

could I use liquid nails? It attaches anything to anything, not sure if it would hurt fish though

Well only way I know of is you make strips of acrylic and silicone them and take your piece of acrylic between those strips and silicone that. Silicone dont really work on acrylic but with the strips it can make a better seal. Liquid Nails Yikes dont think so.

I would not use "liquid nails". I am converting a 55 tank into a sump. I am going to a local glass shop and having some 3/8 glass cut to size. Then just silicone it in place.
Acrylic is tough to cut cleanly if you do not have the right equipment. A regular saw will melt it back together as you cut and leaves a very rough edge.

I wouldn't use Liquid Nails. But, for what it's worth, regular silicone aquarium sealant, though it does not bond well to acrylic, is fine for some situations.

I'm using a 20g tall as a sump, and attached 3 full-width pieces of acrylic to serve as baffles/bubble trap. After doing a freshwater test, I decided to lower the baffles. It was quite a task getting the baffles out! Of course, the silicone off of the acrylic a lot easier than it did the glass, but a thick bead held the baffles in place just fine.

--Mike

Back
Top Bottom