SW testkits..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenmaji

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know lamotte and hach have the high end covered as far as testing water is consered.. Im wondering what good testkits are being used that well dont cost a forutune.. :D thanks..

I use the AP saltwater master test kit and it does fine for me. Only thing else I had to buy was a calcium and phosphate kit in addition to the AP kit.

I started with... red sea, i think (it came in the "Starter package" that my tank and everything else came with) and wasn't happy with them at all. I asked this same question shortly after I got started and went with Salifert based on accuracy/value comparisons. I've been using them since and have been very happy with their accuracy and ease of use.

I use the Aquarium Pharmecueticals brand for the general tests. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphates and ph. But use salifert for my calcium and iodine tests. I've been happy with these kits.

Hagen seems pretty consistant to me. I cross check it with *gasp :eek: * a test strip and, yes, pretty skecthy but...they both match.

At least I got THAT going for me :!: :lol:

I havnt bought alot of stuff yet. that includes the little things like testkits and salt and such.. Ive been bussy thinking about how I want to do the setup.. its getting close to crunch time.. I have a full set of freshwater kits to test the water Im mixing with.. but thats about it.. so any oppinon is a good one right about now..
btw thats funny runway1 :D

I’ve been using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit also. Usually runs about $30 in the lfs but you can get it for $16.99 + shipping online.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/MainPro/Itemdy00.aspx?T1=F55GX+1044+0228
For the money I feel it’s the best deal to test the basic parameters. These liquid tests have been pretty accurate imo and I have used them for 8+ years.

The Master Test Kit doesn’t test for CA, GH, or PO4, so you will have to buy those separately if you need those tests also and they usually run about $7 per test. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals also sells these test but I know a lot of people prefer Seachem or Salifert tests for reef systems.

I have a PO4 testkit I got for FW testing.. is it the same thing?

btw.. I dont want to sidetrack the thread with this question.. it was just a though.. thanks

i use aquarium pharmaceuticals, redsea, and sailfert. i like ap for the quick check just a few drops in shake, and for really acurrate test that take longer i use sailfert. just watch out for the nitrate ap test mine has three shades of yellow that can be hard to tell the difference so i use red sea for nitrate.

i have the ap test for phos and it will work for fresh or salt or at least that what the directions say. so i would you are safe with it.

flame82 said:
just watch out for the nitrate ap test mine has three shades of yellow that can be hard to tell the difference so i use red sea for nitrate.

I have heard that from a lot of people and wonder if they are color blind or if it’s just easier for me? I agree the 2nd and 3rd colors are very close but for me it’s pretty easy to tell when it’s 0 and anything other than yellow is higher than 20 ppm and needs a pwc.

I just have a fowlr but if I kept any thing that was really sensitive to higher NO3 then I would change to the sailfert test. As it is I do 10% changes weekly so NO3 is almost always <5

I prefer Seachem or Salifert tests. Seachem's a little easier on the wallet.
greenmaji said:
PO4 testkit I got for FW testing.. is it the same thing?
FWIW Seachem PO4 test can be used on both...it may depend on the manufacturer though.

I like Salifert. Great test kits. I use those almost exclusively though I do have some old AP test kits for things like ammo that I rarely test.

well thats the thing about the nitrate and its color i have a few things that are more sensitive to it and make is hard like you said its either zero or 20 which i like to see a little bit more detail. i just got tired of trying to guess because depending on how the light hits it just look like mmaybee this one well no maybee this one well crap time for a new test with different colors and not shades augh i have test that have different shades of color that why i choose red sea and sailfret they are perfect clear to me no shadyness and guessing.
" mt79" heres a link to their site
http://aquariumpharm.com/aqtest.html

seems there PO4 testkit only comes in SW and FW applications.. TY.. my bad for asking I should have just run down the info myself..
Ok.. back to test kit brands.. thanks fokes.. :D

BillyZ said:
I started with... red sea, i think (it came in the "Starter package" that my tank and everything else came with) and wasn't happy with them at all. I asked this same question shortly after I got started and went with Salifert based on accuracy/value comparisons. I've been using them since and have been very happy with their accuracy and ease of use.

There is a incredibly large number of tests that Salifert produces..
Wich ones are you useing?

greenmaji said:
BillyZ said:

There is a incredibly large number of tests that Salifert produces..
Wich ones are you useing?

Just your basic 6... ammonie, nitrite, nitrate, CA, Alk, pH

Phosphate?

Ive wondered if anywone was testing for strontium and or iodine as well..

and whats the oppinon on seachems testikits? if anyone has experance with them..

Back
Top Bottom