t5 light questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

65cichlids

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Which light causes algae growth. Actinic or what? I'm starting to see algae. I have a coralife T5 4 bulb 54 watt with my 55 gallon freshwater cichlid tank. Should I put live plants in my tank?

That's a lot of light for no plants.

I'd start by decreasing the length of time light is on, reduce feeding, and up the water changes

Also what kind of algae are you seeing?

65cichlids said:
Which light causes algae growth. Actinic or what? I'm starting to see algae. I have a coralife T5 4 bulb 54 watt with my 55 gallon freshwater cichlid tank. Should I put live plants in my tank?

Is this t5 HO or t5 NO? Ether way that is a TUN of light! Actinic bulbs will promote algae growth. Does your light fixture have options for running less bulbs?

From what I understand cichlids and plants don't mix well

fishfanatic said:
Is this t5 HO or t5 NO? Ether way that is a TUN of light! Actinic bulbs will promote algae growth. Does your light fixture have options for running less bulbs?

From what I understand cichlids and plants don't mix well

I have a 60 gallon cichlid tank. No cichlids and plants don't mix well. They dig them up constantly, the only way I have found to keep some live plants in my tank is to put good size rocks all way around the base of the plants and even that don't always work. They dig around the rocks and shift them then up root the plants any way.
I think the best bet would be to decrease light times and up the water changes for a bit.
Putting the lights on a timer will help and you can also do a few days with no lights on at all to kinds starve the algae along with cutting back on feedings

jetajockey said:
It depends on the type of cichlids, really. I've kept plenty of cichlids that don't mess with plants at all.

Sorry should have specified I have mbunas that love to dig.
And you are right not all cichlids do that.

Back
Top Bottom