Tank repairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimbie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just picked up a custom 260 gal from a guy (10 year old) and 2 sides of glass cracked when we were moving it (hey, the thing was 400+ lbs). Does anyone know the cost of replacing those 2 pieces and getting all of the sealant redone. Basically a whole tank remod. I'm in California, but anybody who has had this experience would be great!

The big front panels or 2 smaller sides? How thick is the glass?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

3/4" and one side and one back panel

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ooooffff, you're looking at big bucks to have glass cut from a shop, you'd be lucky to find scrap that would work. From a shop I'd ballpark around 200-$250??

Even redoing the sealing all around? (that's way better than I thought it was going to be)

Ohh no, I'm talking material, could be wrong there too, the labor would be a couple hundred too I'm thinking.

Ooooffff, you're looking at big bucks to have glass cut from a shop, you'd be lucky to find scrap that would work. From a shop I'd ballpark around 200-$250??

I'd honestly think maybe closer to the $300 area at minimum. And that's just glass. For a shop to do the labor I couldn't guess. I think a call to a local guy is your best bet and then hitting the internet to scour around. If it were me, I'd consider taking on a project like that over a winter.

As for the sealant, it's a must to remove and replace all. The old and new won't bond correctly and that's 260 gallons of big headaches. I've done a couple small tanks (40b the largest) and did it with small squeeze type tubes. Someone else brought up to by the caulk gun size and use that as it's 1, a bit cheaper in that size and 2, easier to apply a steady bead. Something I never thought of.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Well I got the tank for free, it's such a bummer the glass broke! Treemanone, I live in Southern California so I don't have much of a winter. The guy who built the tank is 45 min away, so I am going to give him a call Monday, as with some LFS to see it they know anyone.

We were also debating(if it's cheaper) just having another tank built, maybe acrylic.

An acrylic tank that size would be into the 3-4k range I'd think. If the tank was free than spend the 500 to fix it up nice nice..

Well I got the tank for free, it's such a bummer the glass broke! Treemanone, I live in Southern California so I don't have much of a winter. The guy who built the tank is 45 min away, so I am going to give him a call Monday, as with some LFS to see it they know anyone.

We were also debating(if it's cheaper) just having another tank built, maybe acrylic.

That's quite unfortunate in regards to the tank mishap. I haven't had that happen before but can just imagine the heartbreak. As for being in SoCal and not having much of a winter that's a def bonus. It gets quite cold in CT and I'd need to heat my garage for a few days to ensure the sealant adheres properly.

I'd for sure place a call since the builder is that close !!! He may be very helpful.

An acrylic tank that size would be into the 3-4k range I'd think. If the tank was free than spend the 500 to fix it up nice nice..

I agree with Brookster that an acrylic is a costly endeavor and to spend a little (comparatively) on a repair is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Back
Top Bottom