Test Kit Brands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are good Test Kit Brands? Or Which Test Kits are better to use for Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, PH and calcium,Magnesium, Alkalinity?;)

Yeah that is pretty expensive.... Anything else i'll take any suggestions or other brands that are good.... Everyone give me your input on what you guys use? If possible.... I open to whatever as long it not to pricey.... Thanks for your reply ccCapt

Thanks.....

Agree that Salifert is top notch. I think a good value for your money though are the API (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) test kits. In my experience, they give pretty accurate and consistent results. And they're available just about everywhere at good prices.

The only issue I found with the API tests are that as you get a little further into the hobby and want better resolution on your results, a few of the API kits just don't cut it. For example, the API test kit for nitrates gives you one color for 0.0ppm and another color for 10.0 ppm. It's pretty tough to know where you're at between those two points. The Salifert kit, on the other hand, can get you a reading down to as low as 0.2 ppm. Big difference if you're really wanting to get a feel for where your nitrates are. Similar issues with alkalinity.

For me, I use API for ammonia, nitrites, pH, alkalinity, and sometimes calcium. I use Salifert for calcium (most the time), nitrates, magnesium, and phosphates.

API is decent for your basic tests, ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte. I have some trouble reading their pH test. I would suggest getting them online as they can be a lot cheaper than at your LFS. You probably want to spend the extra money on the other tests, especially if you are doing corals. For FOWLR, API is decent for the money.
Since I only have hitch hiker corals (zoas and button polyps) I use the kit linked below:
Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit

Thats the problem I have try to determen if the Nitrate readings are correct it very hard to tell and i have the API master saltwater kit... I just wanted other ideas on whats better..... Thanks Kurt

I have the Hagen Master Test Kit which includes tests for iron, calcium and phosphate as well as the more generally used tests. I personally found the API pH tests difficult to read. I also use the Jungle 6-in-1 test strips for quick and dirty results since I have ten tanks and doing the liquid reagent tests for all of them would be too time consuming.

Hagen... my LFS was trying to sell me the test kit before they must of been using it to test there water or they were just trying to move product....

The Seachem Saltwater kit is decent. I used it for the first year I had my tank. Then I started using Salifert and use them and LaMotte (even more expensive) exclusivley. The Salifert kits have a sharp color change for most tests. It's much easier for me to determine what the actual number is vs. deciding a subtle shade differrence on a card. Even their nitrate kit is easy for me to read compared to the Seachem color card.

From everything I've heard test strips are notoriously inaccurate.

For the record I picked up Red Sea Marine Lab from a LFS. It seems to work pretty well.

Thanks one of my buddies was telling me to get test stripes cause thats what he uses for his SW tank..... But he says his fish were dieing at one point I'm taking it now it's probably was his test stripes.....

I use the API drop test kits myself. Although the pH test isn't that great because my pH is 8.0 and the kit maxes out at 7.6 or something like that.

Didn't even know they made one lol, should of looked around a little harder thanks for the heads up.

The FW API test kit has the high range pH kit. I always had trouble reading the API SW pH test.

Stay awwy from the test strips. They are ok for a swimming pool I guess, but not for an aquarium.

I used them early on when I was cycling, but that's about it. They're good for detecting "zero" amounts of things, but if there's any measurable amount of whatever it is you're measuring... I've found it tough to determine the actual number. They're kind of a "go/no-go" gauge for water parameters.

I used the 5-1 strips when cycling to check and see when my nitrItes were starting to drop. They're great for that.

Back
Top Bottom